Zebrafish Colony Technician
Zebrafish Colony Technician
Van Andel Institute (VAI), a leading independent biomedical research and science education institute, is seeking to hire a full-time Zebrafish Colony Technician in our zebrafish lab and zebrafish facility. This position will be an essential partnership between the zebrafish lab and the vivarium to ensure continued and evolving excellence in zebrafish research studies, as well as mentoring vivarium husbandry support.
The Zebrafish Colony Technician will help grow and maintain the new zebrafish facility (1-year-old). This is a diverse role with the opportunity to interface between scientific research lab staff and animal care professionals. This person will also oversee zebrafish line maintenance in addition to administrative responsibilities. This individual will spend approximately 50% of their time conducting experiments under the supervision and guidance of the Principal Investigator, including assisting in the development, and troubleshooting of new laboratory techniques, and overseeing the ordering and maintenance of zebrafish research equipment and inventory. The other 50% of their time will be in partnership with the Vivarium Core, managing and monitoring the aquatic systems including cleaning equipment and feeding fish colonies.
To qualify for this position, you need to have:
- Aquarium culture skills
- Great observational skills to identify possible problems with Aquaneering fish systems or zebrafish health
- Accuracy in measurements of water quality, written documentation, and communication
- BS in Biological Sciences or appropriate combination of education and experience
The following skills are an asset to have and a growth opportunity for which we are willing to provide training for the right person:
- Molecular biology laboratory skills
- Experience generating transgenic zebrafish
- Experience with generating mutant zebrafish
- Experience in managing/supervising and training staff in areas related to zebrafish and related laboratory techniques
In this position you can expect to do the following:
- Maintain the Aqauneering system; monitoring the water quality and supplies, performing preventative maintenance, and responding where adjustments are required
- Maintain accurate and detailed daily records of information regarding colony health, water quality, breeding, and housing
- Perform zebrafish injections and cloning
- Validate newly generated transgenic and CRISPR zebrafish lines
- Breed zebrafish for colony maintenance, including propagating zebrafish strains, collecting embryos, and performing fin clips and genotyping
- Manage zebrafish facility inventory
- Tracks project expenditures
- Manage lab safety checklists, schedules, and lab maintenance
- Performs other related work as needed.
How to Apply:
If you possess the desired qualification and attributes, we welcome speaking with you and strongly encourage you to apply today! https://jobs.silkroad.com/VAI/VAICareerSite/jobs/996
In your application, provide the following in one combined document:
- cover letter highlighting key qualifications,
- names and contact information of 3 references.
This position will be open until filled and will be reviewing applications on an ongoing basis. If you have any difficulty uploading your application or any questions, please email Megan Doerr at Megan.Doerr@vai.org.
About Grand Rapids, MI
Van Andel Research Institute is located in downtown Grand Rapids, Michigan. A remarkable combination of a cosmopolitan atmosphere and small-town warmth, Grand Rapids is known for its philanthropic and sustainability-driven community. It’s fun affordable and family friendly.
Located on the banks of the Grand River, Grand Rapids offers all the big-city excitement you'd expect from a million-resident metropolis, featuring hundreds of restaurants and nightspots, theatres, museums, sports, and concerts. The safe and clean downtown is surrounded by an eclectic mix of walkable neighborhoods and natural areas.
With a medical and life sciences industry boom, strong entrepreneurial activity, dedication to green building and living, and innovative employers, Grand Rapids' diverse economy continues to grow, offering endless career opportunities.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.