Postdoctoral Inspire Fellowship
Diverse backgrounds, expertise and viewpoints are foundational to exceptional science and innovation. Van Andel Institute’s Inspire Fellowship is designed to enhance diversity and increase representation at VAI and in the broader biomedical research community by supporting postdoctoral fellows who identify as members of underrepresented racial and ethnic groups (as defined by the National Institutes of Health). The fellowship offers cutting-edge research training in the Institute’s labs, complemented by state-of-the-art Core Technologies and Services and a fellowship-specific professional development activity. Inspire Fellows will emerge from their time at VAI with comprehensive training in their field of interest and a professional foundation from which to launch their independent research careers. Learn more here.
Applications for the Inspire Fellowship are accepted year-round and reviewed on a rolling basis.
Who is eligible to apply for the VAI Inspire Fellowship?
- Applicants must be within 12 months of completing a Ph.D., M.D. or other appropriate terminal degree
- U.S. citizens or permanent residents
- Those who identify as members of an underrepresented racial and/or ethnic group as defined by the National Institutes of Health
What application materials should I prepare?
Prior to starting the application, please prepare the following required materials:
- CV or NIH-style biosketch
- Personal Statement. Please provide an overview of your scientific background, your goals for your postdoctoral training, and why you are interested in VAI and the Inspire Fellowship program. You also may include any personal information you feel is relevant to the evaluation of your application. The statement should be no more than three pages.
- One reference letter
- A list of VAI faculty members with whom you are interested working. Indicate this on your application. Corresponding with a VAI faculty member prior to applying for the Inspire Fellowship is encouraged but not required
Applications for VAI postdoc positions and the Inspire Fellowship are separate. Receipt of the Inspire Fellowship is contingent on an offer of employment for a postdoc position in a VAI lab. We encourage Inspire applicants to apply to open postdoctoral positions of interest and/or contact faculty mentors of interest directly via email after submitting the Inspire Fellowship application.
If you have already spoken with a VAI faculty member about joining their lab or applied for one of our open postdoc positions, there will be space to indicate this on the application. This is encouraged but not required to apply to the Inspire Fellowship.
Questions are welcome! Please contact Dr. Erica Gobrogge, program director of VAI’s Office of Postdoctoral Affairs and Director of the Inspire Fellowship program, at email@example.com.
This position is located at 333 Bostwick Avenue NE, Grand Rapids, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.