RESESS Intern - Remote Work Options Available
APPLICANTS MUST APPLY THROUGH OUR CAREER PORTAL (https://jobs.silkroad.com/UNAVCO/) TO BE CONSIDERED.
UNAVCO, is a Boulder, Colorado based non-profit, university governed consortium that facilitates geoscience research and education using geodesy (studies on the size, shape, and other physical characteristics of the Earth).
RESESS is an undergraduate internship and support program in the Earth sciences, dedicated to increasing diversity and inclusion in the geosciences.
RESESS encourages applications from students who are members of historically underrepresented groups in the Earth sciences, including but not limited to: national origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, socioeconomic status, veteran status, educational background, race/ethnicity, disability and family structure. We solicit diverse applications with the aim of cultivating diversity in ideas and perspective.
We provide support and mentoring as students participate in authentic research experiences while building skills and confidence. Students may participate for up to two years and are encouraged to consider careers in geoscience.
Under the RESESS umbrella are two programs: Boulder and Satellite. RESESS Boulder is 11 weeks in person based in Boulder, Colorado. RESESS Satellite is a hybrid 11-week program, with 5 weeks in person and 6 weeks remote based at a UNAVCO member institution in the U.S.
UNAVCO intends to run all internship programs during summer 2022 in their native format. Should the situation change in terms of health and safety of participants and program staff as it related to COVID-19, we will convert all programming to a remote model. We will make any such decision on or before March 1, 2022. By applying to this program, you are agreeing to participate in either format. Support is available to assist with a work from home model.
Note: In order to follow federal guidance and maximize the safety of working conditions, UNAVCO requires all interns to be vaccinated against COVID-19 or provide documentation of an exemption for medical or religious reasons. Requests for medical or religious exemptions can be made by contacting Human Resources.
- This position is full-time and based in Boulder, Colorado or a UNAVCO member institution within the conterminous U.S. from Mid-May to Early August.
- Participants will receive
- Stipend for the full 11 weeks of the internship.
- Round trip airfare to the airport closest to internship site from student’s home institution
- A shared, dorm-style fully-furnished apartment.
- An impactful research experience in the geosciences
- Scientific writing and professional development courses
- Opportunity to participate in a funded national science meeting
Interns must commit to participating in all 11 weeks of the program. Interns are responsible for active engagement in all aspects of the program to ensure they meet individual and program objectives in scientific research, project deliverables, cohort activities, and oral and written presentations.
- Work in conjunction with RESESS and UNAVCO team members to plan and complete assignments
- Work in conjunction with community members to plan and complete assignments
Essential Job Functions
- Engage in original scientific research at UNAVCO or partnering laboratories as assigned. Interns will follow the guidance of their scientific mentors.
Writing and Presentations
- Participate in weekly scientific writing and communication workshops, including preparation and presentation of weekly assignments.
Prepare an oral presentation and submit an abstract, a research paper, and a scientific poster by the conclusion of the summer program
Seminars and Field Trips
- Participate in seminars and field trips.
- If eligible, attend a funded trip to a national scientific conference to present research completed during the internship.
- Participate in RESESS-focused outreach initiatives.
Professional Development and Community Awareness
- Conduct themselves in a professional manner and contribute positively to their communities.
- Other duties as assigned
- Participate on cross-functional teams
To perform in this position successfully, an individual must be able to fulfill each essential responsibility satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of knowledge, skill, and/or current ability and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, or qualifications associated with this position.
- Basic knowledge of the Earth and/or environmental sciences
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Good interpersonal skills to interface with RESESS participants, UNAVCO staff, peers, and community members
- Good problem-solving skills and the ability to analyze and interpret data
- Good organizational skills and the ability to manage multiple priorities
- Strong work ethic and integrity
- Strong orientation to collaboration and teamwork
- Ability to work full-time at a research institution within the contiguous US for all or part of the 11-week internship.
- United States citizen or permanent resident status
UNAVCO Core Competencies
- Accountability and Responsibility
- Relationship Building
- Skilled Problem Solver
- Customer Focus
- Strategic Thinking
Physical Work Demands (or equivalent accommodations)
- Ability to sit and/or stand to work at a computer for extended periods of time.
- Ability to move about a typical office and outdoor work/research environment on a daily basis
- Ability to lift and move up to 25 pounds occasionally
Mental Work Demands (or equivalent accommodations)
- Regular and on-time attendance
- Ability to understand complex problems and to collaborate and explore alternative solutions
- Occasional travel by conventional means including aircraft, motor vehicle and the like
- At the time of applying for position applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate program with a major in Earth or environmental sciences or related field.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher
- At least 18 years old by May 16, 2022
- Completed the equivalent of at least two years of college
- Basic research or data analysis experience
- Proficiency or ability to gain proficiency with the following systems:
- MS Office/Mac desktop applications
- Scientific computing tools and programs
How to Apply
To apply to RESESS, you must fill out the online application (see instructions below) though the UNAVCO Career Portal fount at: https://jobs.silkroad.com/UNAVCO/. Note that you cannot go back and edit your answers or documents once submitted.
- On the first page, fill in required information.
- Do not upload your resume. Instead:
- Upload a PDF document with your responses to the questions that are particular to the Geo-Launchpad program. Questions can be found here: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1xOLReBk7HR-gRsDQjD51eorMlc8M7SC2/view?usp=sharing
- Upload a PDF of your college transcripts (unofficial copies are accepted).
Complete the application by February 8, 2022 11:59 p.m., Mountain Time.
If you are notified that you are a finalist by February 15, 2022, you will need two letters of recommendation from college faculty members or research advisors to be emailed directly to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than February 23, 2022. See https://resess.unavco.org/ for tips on who to choose for references, and direct references to instructions on how to submit letters of recommendation.
We are unable to provide sponsorship for work authorization within the United States. UNAVCO is an equal opportunity/equal access/affirmative action employer. Our long-term success depends on the development of a forward-looking, diversified workforce. UNAVCO values diverse perspectives and backgrounds in all positions within the organization and is fully committed to achieving a diverse workforce and complies with all Federal and State laws, and regulations regarding nondiscrimination and affirmative action. UNAVCO encourages applications from candidates who are members of historically underrepresented groups. This includes candidates from different socioeconomic backgrounds, candidates with disabilities, candidates with unique life experiences, etc. Women, Veterans, Individuals with Disabilities and members of the BIPOC and LGBTQIA+ communities are encouraged to apply. All qualified and complete applications will be considered. Individuals with a disability needing an accommodation as part of the employment selection process should contact HR@unavco.org or 303.381.7515.