Special Education Assistant - P00892
Clerical and Administrative Support
** Application Deadline: Open Until Filled **
TITLE: Special Education Assistant
POSITION NO.: P00892
SECTION: Administrative Services/Department of Corrections/Special Education
HIRING SALARY: $28,000.00 annually
HOURS: 40 hours/week
CONTACT: Human Resources (850) 201-8510 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAJOR FUNCTION: The Special Education Assistant position is housed within the Florida State Prison in Raiford, FL. The Assistant is primarily responsible for assisting the Special Education Teachers, and other education staff, within the Department’s institutions, for the provision of special education services to students with disabilities. These duties include, but are not limited to:
- Develop and maintain a weekly schedule of job duties that will be completed throughout the week. Provides assistance during the intake process with reception packets and school records.
- Assist with the process of interviewing and obtaining education information for inmates, 21 years of age or younger, that enter the Department’s reception centers as new intakes; including administering career interest inventories, obtaining signed consent to receive educational records, and providing information on academic programs available at designated special education institutions. Contact school districts (in-state and out-of-state) to obtain documentation of the student’s previous public, private, or charter school records. The records requested shall consist of IEPs, transcripts, psychological evaluations, medical records, disciplinary referrals, matrixes, copies of high school diplomas, or GED. Upload and sign all documents and records obtained from other school districts for inmates, 21 years of age or younger, during the reception process. All documents for students identified as being eligible to receive special education services shall be uploaded in PEER.
- Upload and sign all documents and records obtained from other school districts for inmates, 21 years of age or younger, during the reception process. All documents for students identified as being eligible to receive special education services shall be uploaded in PEER.
- Attend conferences, workshops, technical assistance calls, and meetings for program improvement, professional development, and Special Education program operation.
- Perform other related duties as assigned involving assisting the development of IEPs and implementation of special education services. Other duties may include providing academic assignments to students that are at other Reception Centers for an extended period of time, gathering documentation, and organizing files for operational reviews (specifically operational reviews for special education verification's).
MINIMUM TRAINING/EXPERIENCE: Requires a high school diploma, or its equivalent (General Education Diploma (GED), or documentation of enrollment in a college or university). Requires experience working with students in an instructional setting or providing administrative support.
SUCCESSFUL APPLICANTS WILL DEMONSTRATE THE FOLLOWING: Knowledge of basic accounting principles. Knowledge of student record keeping principles. Skills in typing with accuracy and speed using a typewriter or personal computer. Skills in using a calculator. Skills in operating personal computer software to include, but not limited to word processing, data bases, spreadsheets, etc. Skills in operating a motor vehicle safely. Ability to communicate effectively verbally and in writing. Ability to follow oral and written instructions. Ability to work with others. Ability to work independently and use good judgment. Ability to plan, organize, and coordinate work assignments. Ability to work with users of varying technical expertise.
Preference will be given to veterans and spouses who are eligible under the Veterans' Preference Law. At time of application, submittal of Form DD214 is the minimum requirement for veterans' preference claim. Note: Please upload your DD214 as an attachment as part of your application at the time of submission.
***TCC is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action/E-Verify Employer ***
The selected candidate identified for this position will be required to successfully complete a criminal background check, which may include fingerprinting.
The College uses E-Verify as part of the I-9 process to verify the work eligibility of all new hires. Tallahassee Community College does not discriminate based on age, color, disability, ethnicity, gender identity, genetic information, marital status, national origin, pregnancy, race, religion sex, sexual orientation, or veteran status in its programs and activities. Inquiries regarding the College’s non-discrimination policies may be directed to Renae Tolson, Equity Officer, Room 239 Administration Building, 444 Appleyard Drive, Tallahassee, FL 32304, (850) 201-6074, email@example.com.
All persons are encouraged to apply.
If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/selection process, please notify Human Resources at (850) 201-8510.
This position is located in Raiford, FL. View the Google Map in full screen.