Director of Marketing and Promotions - Athletics
Administrative/Professional --> Athletics
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Department - Athletics
Job Title: Director of Marketing & Promotions
Reports to: Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations
The Director of Marketing and Promotions manages the department's marketing and fan engagement strategies, leads in-game productions and special events, executes promotional and advertising campaigns, oversees sponsorship activation, find supports revenue generating initiatives for St. John's 17 NCAA Division I athletic programs that compete in the BIG EAST Conference. The Director of Marketing & Promotions also supports the day-to-day operations of St. John's UNLIMITED, the Red Storm's Name, Image and Likeness program. Reporting directly to the Senior Associate Athletics Director of External Relations, the Director of Marketing and Promotions collaborates with the University's spirit groups, student affairs, alumni relations, institutional advancement, marketing and communications.
- Coordinates in-game productions and promotions, which includes preparing game scripts, sponsorship fulfillments, atmosphere and videoboard content, special presentations and giveaways for St. John's 17 athletic programs.
- Manages a robust marketing plan that drives ticket sales and increases attendance at athletic events.
- Serves as a primary liaison with LEARFIELD for sponsorship
- Manages videoboard operations for all home athletic contests and external events, in conjunction with the video operations and creative services department.
- Coordinates marketing shoots (photo and video) and develops promotional materials, including but not limited to commercials, posters, schedule cards, flyers, digital
- Assists in the management of St.John's Athletics official social media platforms (Facebook, Twitter, lnstagram, YouTube).
- Executes student specific outreach plans and utilize grassroots marketing strategies to increase attendance at athletic events.
- Collaborates with the University's student spirit organization, RedZone, to create programming that enhances student engagement.
- Coordinates St. John's Athletics advertising strategy to increase brand awareness and support revenue generating initiatives.
- Spearheads Red Storm Tip-Off, the annual kick-off event for the men's and women's basketball seasons.
- Supports group sales and assists in the coordination of group events at home
- Serves as a key liaison for St. John's Athletics UNLIMITED Name, Image and Likeness program through collaboration with campus and external partners, including INFLCR, in regards to NIL education and brand building strategies for student-athletes.
- Supports operations associated with St. John's Athletics email database and communication through Ticketmaster Archtics, tmMessanger, as well as the department's customer service email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Available and willing to assist on any game-day crews, and willingly take on other duties and tasks as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External
- Immediately establish and continuously maintain a working knowledge of the NCAA and BIG EAST Conference rules and regulations and St. John's University Policies and Procedures. Continuously maintain operating guidelines, policies and procedures in your area of responsibility within the department to ensure 100% compliance with the NCAA/BIG EAST rules and regulations. As a representative of St. John's University continually demonstrate honesty, dignity and integrity when communicating with staff, students and peers both internally and externally. Promote an atmosphere for compliance by signing NCAA acknowledgements upon employment, maintaining a working knowledge of NCAA/BIG EAST Conference rules and regulations, attend NCAA/BIG EAST related training sessions and report infractions to the Director of Athletics or Associate Athletic Director for Compliance in a timely manner. Consistently report infractions according to both the provisions of the NCAA/BIG EAST enforcement and the St. John's University policies and procedures, especially with regard to our Corrective Action Policy #702 (see St. John's University Policy Manual, https://www.edu/abouUadministrative-offices/human-resources/hr-policy manual/policy-702-corrective-action )
- Experience taking marketing plans from concept to successful
- Experience developing advertising plans and managing
- Experience with Adobe Creative Suite, specifically Photoshop and lnDesign, or other appropriate software applications.
- Proficient with social media platforms, including but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, lnstagram, TikTok,
- Experience working with Daktronics Video Boards and Show Control
- This position manages one graduate assistant and student workers in the marketing and promotions department.
- This position operates in a professional office environment as well as in indoor and outdoor athletic venues.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand, move about and occasionally lift or move equipment weighing approximately 10-20 lbs.
- This position is required to work at athletic events in close proximity of competition and fans in attendance.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Standard days and hours of operations are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This position also requires night and weekend work
- Occasional travel is required, which is primarily local within the metropolitan area. Some travel out-of-area and overnight travel may be required.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor's degree in marketing, communications or related field
- Minimum 3 years of relevant full-time experience in a field of professional or collegiate athletic communications/creative services required.
In compliance with NYC’s Pay Transparency Act, the annual/hourly salary for this $60,000. St. John’s University considers factors such as (but not limited to) scope and responsibilities of the position, candidate’s work experience, education/training, key skills, internal peer equity, as well as market and organizational considerations when extending an offer.
This position may be relocated to any of St. John’s University’s physical locations at any time
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.