Academic Advisor - Health Sciences
Administrative/Professional --> College of Pharmacy & Health Sci
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Academic Advisor (Health Science)
Office of the Dean
College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences
St. John's University
Position Title: Academic Advisor for student advisement and academic success
Position Function: The Academic Advisor for Student Advisement and Academic Success will assist in the academic advisement, registration, and monitoring of the progression of students in the Health Sciences programs (Physician Assistant, Physical Therapy, Biomedical Science, Clinical Laboratory Science, Radiologic Science, and Toxicology), assist with ongoing assessment data entry linked to accreditation processes and assist in the general activities of the Office of the Dean of the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences.
- Participate in the developmental advisement of students in the Health Sciences Program and any other students in any of the College’s programs
- Maintain appropriate student records and other needed information and documentation by utilizing Banner, Electronic File Cabinet (EFC) and other appropriate software
- Assist in the processing of potential transfer students, transfer credits and credits for Advancement Placement Test Scores
- Utilize databases to track all students advised in a longitudinal fashion
- Assist in the tracking and analyzing the progression of students, particularly those who are having academic difficulty
- Develop written academic success plans for select student for submission to the progression subcommittee
- Provide academic counseling for program changes and scheduling of student programs
- Assist in student recruitment efforts of the College
- Complete reports and student evaluations as required by internal and external associates including accrediting agencies
- Assist/participate in student oriented events and services sponsored by the College and/or University
- Represent the College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences on various University Committees as requested
- Serve as a liaison to other units and support services throughout the University
- Participate in event during the evenings and weekends as required for special programs and events
- Complete special projects as assigned by the Dean, Associate Dean or his designee(s)
- Other duties as assigned
This individual is employed as a full-time administrator in the Office of the Dean, College of Pharmacy and Health Sciences and works under the direction and supervision of the Dean and Associate Dean for Health Science
- Graduate degree in education, counseling or other related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years of experience in higher education working directly with college students (preferred)
- Knowledge of Banner, Electronic File Cabinet and Microsoft Office preferred
- Demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills
- Has the ability to work well with others at various levels
All persons hired are required to be vaccinated and boosted against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.
This position may be relocated to any of St. John’s University’s physical locations at any time
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.