Admission Assistant - Staten Island Campus
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Admission Assistant - Staten Island Campus
Reporting to the Associate Director of Admission, SI Campus, the Admission Assistant is responsible for overseeing and managing the day to day operations of the Admission Office in Staten Island.
- Manage the day to day visit experience of the Office of Admission. This includes greeting all visitors in a friendly and courteous manger while providing excellent customer service aligned with University and Office of Admission policies.
- Develop and maintain proficient knowledge about the University and its academic and extracurricular programs to best address inquiries from students and their families and direct them to other offices as necessary.
- Answer all calls, with proper greeting, to address all inquiries and questions in a timely manner, including, but not limited to confirming tours and appointments, registering students for events, transferring the call to a counselor or proper department
- Manage the Staten Island Admission visitor calendar.
- Check the SI Admission email inbox and reply to prospective students and families in a professional, courteous manner on behalf of the Office of Admission.
- Review and respond to SMS replies in Slate CRM.
- Assist Transfer Admission & Advising with daily operations and events, including, but not limited to scheduling advising appointments, answering phone calls, greeting students upon arrival in the Office of Admission.
- Coordinate, confirm, and follow up with all group visits, including but not limited to meetings with alternate departments and Deans
- Assist in coordinating and executing Office of Admission events as needed
- Organize and maintain tidiness in the Office of Admission; this includes maintaining inventory records and restocking brochures and flyers as needed, as well as ensuring that refreshments are replenished as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Prior volunteer or work experience preferred.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, ability to multi-task, and time management skills are essential.
- Strong attention to detail
- Good computer skills (MS Word, MS Excel, MS Outlook, Internet).
- Familiarity with the office equipment (Computers, telephone, fax machine, photocopier, scanner, letter folder).
- Discretion with relation to handling confidential information is essential.
- Experience in a customer-facing role is preferred
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively is essential.
- A commitment to being part of an inclusive University is essential.
Required Education and Experience:
The ideal candidate will have at least 2-3 years customer service experience, preferably in a higher education setting. A high school degree or equivalent is required; a Bachelor’s degree is preferred.
This job operates in a professional office environment. This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printers, telephones, fax machines, photocopiers, scanners, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; move about; sit; to carry work and use controls; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs; communicate; The employee must occasionally lift or move up to 20 lbs. Specific vision abilities required by the employee include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and the ability to adjust focus.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.. This position occasionally requires long hours and weekend work.
Travel may include occasional visits to the other NY campuses.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
“All persons hired are required to be vaccinated and boosted against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.”
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 300 Howard Avenue, Staten Island, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.