Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
Administrative/Professional --> Athletics
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Assistant Director of Athletic Communications
The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications serves as the media relations specialist for assigned sports and provides communications support for all 17 St. John’s athletic programs. This position is responsible for building relationships with local and national media with the goal of increasing coverage and exposure. The Assistant Director of Athletic Communications executes a comprehensive plan for messaging through news releases, game notes, previews student-athlete and staff profiles, along with creating content for the official athletics website, social media and digital platforms. Reports directly to the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations.
- Directs communications strategy for assigned sports and assists with other sports when necessary.
- Produces press releases, game notes, media guides and records statistical information.
- Coordinates interviews with local and national media outlets.
- Serves as a media relations expert for teams and coaches to maximize positive exposure opportunities.
- Updates all news and features on official athletics website while also managing digital and social media platforms.
- Staffs home and selected away events and supervises game day/statistical crews.
- Cultivates positive working relationship with coaches, administrators and members of the media.
- Provides communications support to other divisions of the Athletic Department.
- Adheres to University branding guidelines.
- Available and willing to assist on any game-day crews, and willingly take on other duties and tasks as assigned by the Senior Associate Athletics Director for External Relations.
- Immediately establish and continuously maintain a working knowledge of the NCAA and BIG EAST Conference rules and regulations and St. John’s University Policies and Procedures. Continuously maintain operating guidelines, policies and procedures in your area of responsibility within the department to ensure 100% compliance with the NCAA/BIG EAST rules and regulations. As a representative of St. John’s University continually demonstrate honesty, dignity and integrity when communicating with staff, students and peers both internally and externally. Promote an atmosphere for compliance by signing NCAA acknowledgements upon employment, maintaining a working knowledge of NCAA/BIG EAST Conference rules and regulations, attend NCAA/BIG EAST related training sessions and report infractions to the Director of Athletics or Associate Athletic Director for Compliance in a timely manner. Consistently report infractions according to both the provisions of the NCAA/BIG EAST enforcement and the St. John’s University policies and procedures, especially with regard to our Corrective Action Policy #702 (see St. John’s University Policy Manual, https://www.stjohns.edu/about/administrative-offices/human-resources/hr-policy-manual/policy-702-corrective-action )
- Possesses expertise in Microsoft Office, Adobe Creative Suite, NCAA Live Stats, StatCrew or other appropriate software applications.
- Proficient with social media platforms, including but not limited to, Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram.
- Photography experience preferred.
- This position manages graduate assistants and student workers in the athletic communications department.
- This position operates in a professional office environment as well as in indoor and outdoor athletic venues.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is often required to stand, move about and occasionally lift or move equipment weighing approximately 10-20 lbs.
- This position is required to work at athletic events in close proximity of competition and fans in attendance.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
- Standard days and hours of operations are Monday through Friday from 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. This position also requires night and weekend work hours.
- Travel is required. Local travel within the metropolitan area, as well as out-of-area and overnight travel.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in communications, marketing or related field preferred.
- Minimum 3 years of relevant full-time experience in a field of professional or collegiate athletic communications required.
“All persons hired are required to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.”
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time, with or without notice.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.