Assistant Director - University Freshman Center
Administrative/Professional --> Enrollment Management & Admissions
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Assistant Director of the University Freshman Center
Reporting to the Associate Director of the University Freshman Center, this individual will serve in a mid-level leadership position that provides support and assistance to first-year students. Primary responsibilities focus on the delivery of a developmental advisement approach, as well as, the coordination of activities and events that assist first-year students in their transition, acclimation and integration into the University community.
Specific responsibilities include:
- serve as a general and academic advisor to first-year students from the point of their admission to the culmination of their first-year on campus.
- increase student retention by intrusively assisting first-year students with their academic, personal and financial concerns.
- assist first-year students in the registration process by teaching them to use the existing University technology.
- compile information and analyze data in an effort to identify patterns of attrition among first year students.
- develop innovative and creative techniques to contact and motivate frrst-year students to visit the Center and make total use of their advisor.
- coordinate events and activities for selected populations of first-year students in an effort to promote academic success and connect students to the institution.
- deliver presentations regarding the University Freshman Center at New Student Orientation and events held for parents during the year.
- serve as a liaison to the academic units, and administrative offices that serve first-year students.
- plan other events and programs as assigned by the Associate Provost and to coordinate other activities as needed.
- Master's degree preferred; Bachelor's degree required.
- 3-5 years full-time work experience preferably in higher education.
- Willingness and desire to serve students from diverse backgrounds.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills a must.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate multiple projects simultaneously.
- Must have experience with computer technology.
- Evening and weekend work required.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.