Customer Service Representative
Administrative/Professional --> Customer Service Center
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Student Services Representative
Department: Customer/Student Service Center
Reports to: Customer/Student Service Management Team
Provide customer service support for Enrollment Management as well as designated departments and operations. Provide professional, quality telephone support and customer service assistance to all university customers including prospective and matriculating students, parents and alumni, as well as general public queries.
This position is a front line, customer service ACD telephone position that requires precise attention to detail, strong customer service skills with a professional and courteous work ethic and demeanor. Work hours are varied.
- Interpreting information, making determinations and recommendations.
- Providing customer service.
- Report to work as scheduled, adhere to break and lunch schedules, log on to ACD and process assignments as delegated by department management.
- Researching and resolving issues and problems.
- Maintaining security of confidential student records. (verification of account holder
- Compiling and creating reports. (CSC payments)
- Evaluating documents and applications.
On-going responsibilities (include but are not limited to):
- Provide prompt and courteous service to all callers. Deal directly with students and parents either by telephone, electronically or face to face.
- Respond promptly to customer inquiries.
- Assist in transitioning new hires to become productive and confident in their role.
- Provide feedback to the supervisor regarding new hire performance.
- Assist supervisors with escalated calls from new hires.
- Handle and resolve customer issues using all relative resources. (WIKI)
- Satisfy, respond to or redirect (as necessary) all incoming calls utilizing various systems and applications.
- Attend ongoing training to keep current with information and systems.
- Maintain a timely and efficient workflow of calls processed based on department objectives and standards.
- Assist other team members as needed and designated by the department.
- Provide insight, suggestions and comments on operational procedures, call analysis and training issues to management, which would contribute to an increase in efficiency, productivity and quality of service.
- Report to work as scheduled, log on to ACD and process assignments as delegated by department management.
- Provide enrollment, continuing education, and alumni information.
- Organize workflow to meet customer timeframes.
- Direct requests and unresolved issues to the designated resource.
- Keep records of customer interactions and transactions.
- Record details of inquiries, actions taken, comments and complaints.
- Communicate and coordinate with internal departments
- Follow up on customer interactions
- Truly enjoys interacting with people
- Has great written and verbal communication skills
- Has excellent phone rapport and aptitude for customer service.
- Knows the definition of empathy and utilizes that skill when appropriate
- Is intuitive and has a proactive approach to serving others
- Has a strong work ethic and takes ownership of his/her work
- Demonstrates honesty, teamwork, and genuine concern for others
- Excellent interpersonal skills Good communication skills - verbal and written
- Resourceful in gathering information for first call resolution
- Proficient in math. Addition, subtraction, multiplication and division
- Good communication skills - verbal and written
- Keen listening skills
- Problem analysis and problem-solving
- Attention to detail and accuracy and ability to type 60 wpm
- Takes initiative
- High stress tolerance
Required Education and Experience:
- A High School Diploma is required, Bachelor’s Degree Preferred
- Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communication skills
- Customer Service Experience
- Experience with Microsoft Excel, Word and PowerPoint
“All persons hired are required to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.”
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work
This is a full-time position. Standard work days and hours are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Friday 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Some late nights and weekends work is required.
Duties responsibilities and activities may change at any time or without notice.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.