Associate Director of Ozanam Scholars Program
Administrative/Professional --> Vincentian Institute for Social Action (VISA) --> VISA
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Associate Director of the Ozanam Scholars Program
Vincentian Institute for Social Action
Reporting to the Director of the Ozanam Scholars Program, the Associate Director of the Ozanam Scholars Program will manage the day-to-day operations of the four-year student leadership program and serve as the advisor to the first year and sophomore cohorts of Ozanam Scholars (approximately 25 students per cohort). This position will also assist in supervising up to three (3) graduate assistants.
- Promote the development of the first year and sophomore cohorts through the creation and implementation of various workshops and activities consistent with the themes of global citizenship, Vincentian service, and scholarly research.
- Support scholars’ development through mid-cycle reviews, end-of-year assessments and maintenance of student files and documents;
- Support the Director of the Ozanam Scholars Program in the recruitment and screening of incoming students;
- Plan and participate in annual national and international travel, including excursions to Puerto Rico; Germantown, PA; the United Nations; Paris, France; Washington D.C.; and other national conferences;
- Develop and implement monthly reflection workshops for the sophomore, junior and senior cohorts.
- Track program requirements for first-year and sophomore scholars;
- Collaborate with Global Studies to support mandatory study abroad program in Rome and Vincentian Heritage Tour in Paris;
- Plan and facilitate Ozanam Scholar first-year student orientation and onboarding experience;
- Collaborate with Career Services to execute the program’s career formation requirements;
- Work with Student Financial Services, Admissions, Academic Deans, Residence Life and the University Freshman Center to support recruitment and general student requirements;
- Collaborate with the Director of Vincentian Service to support the development of service partnerships projects for all students;
- Assist in the supervision of up to three (3) Ozanam Graduate Assistants;
- Other duties as assigned.
- Firm understanding of and commitment to the Catholic and Vincentian components of the University’s Mission; strong interest in poverty alleviation, social justice, and community service in a post-secondary environment preferred;
- Service-learning and/or community based research experience
- Global service-learning experience
- Ability to work independently and collaboratively with excellent organizational and time management skills
- Ability to work on both Queens and Staten Island campuses as needed
- Ability to travel nationally and internationally as needed
- Must be flexible to work weekend and evening hours as needed
- Proficient in Microsoft Word, Excel, Access and PowerPoint; knowledge of Banner and Canvas is a plus
- Strong organizational, analytical, supervisory and interpersonal skills
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- This position requires access to a University vehicle, with a preference for satisfactory results of a DMV check for driving record and a valid driver’s license
This position assists in supervising three (3) part-time graduate-level employees in the Vincentian Institute for Social Action (VISA):
- Three (3) Ozanam Scholar Graduate Assistants (part-time)
This job operates in a professional office environment.
This role routinely uses standard office equipment such as personal computers, printers, etc.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to stand; move about; sit; reach with hands and arms; climb stairs. The employee must be able to travel locally, nationally and internationally using various forms of transportation, including airlines, trains, charter buses and University vans. Specific verbal abilities required by the employee include the ability to speak to large and small groups of students and faculty members, often presenting both in person and virtually.
Due to the nature of the Vincentian service travel requirements for the Ozanam Scholars Program, the position requires the ability to travel locally, nationally and globally to underserved and under-resourced locations with small and large groups of Ozanam Scholars.
Position Type/Expected Hours of Work:
This is a full-time position. Days and hours of work are Monday through Thursday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m., and Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. However, in collaboration with the Executive Director for Mission and the Vincentian Institute for Social Action (VISA), these hours can be adjusted as this position often requires evening and weekend hours.
Travel is an integral part of this position, including the supervision of local, national and international Vincentian service trips and occasional research conferences, in addition to visits to the other NY campuses.
Required Education and Experience:
- Bachelors degree in education, psychology, sociology, business or an appropriate social discipline;
- Minimum three years experience in higher education or community agencies;
Preferred Education and Experience:
- Masters degree in education, psychology, sociology, business or an appropriate social discipline;
- Minimum three years experience in higher education or community agencies;
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.