Math Teacher - Upward Bound Program
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Position Title: Math Teacher
Position: Part Time
Program Description: Upward Bound (UB) is a federally funded program designed to increase the college going rate of low-income and potential first generation college students. Upward Bound is designed to encourage participants to complete high school and continue their education at the post-secondary level by offering academic support services to program participants including: specialized classes and workshops, tutoring, mentoring, counseling, workforce development, college tours, and cultural and educational field trips. The program provides opportunities for participants to succeed in their precollege performance and ultimately in their higher education pursuits. The program consists of a Director, 1 Program Coordinator/Advisor, 1 part-time Graduate Assistant, and a team of part-time teachers and college tutors/mentors. The Math Teacher is responsible for providing instruction and tutorial services in mathematics during the UB after-school program.
- Provide instruction in the area of mathematics ( algebra, geometry, and calculus) and;
- Collaborate with High School Liaisons and/or school personnel to design and implement academic interventions for students;
- Assist in the coordination of tutorial services; conduct tutorial training; Supervision of tutorial staff;
- Exhibit great classroom management skills that enable learning for all students;
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Project Director
- Masters’ Degree in Education;
- State Certification or college teaching experience;
- Three years teaching experience at the secondary or collegiate level;
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge of NYS Learning Standards and Common Core;
- Ability to inspire and motivate youth;
- Deep rooted passion in serving students and helping them achieve their goals.
- Preference given to educator who currently serves as a full-time teacher at the target high school
“All persons hired are required to be vaccinated and boosted against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.”
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.