Public Safety Officer
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Public Safety Officer
Department: Public Safety
Public Safety Officers are responsible to maintain the safety and security of all St. John’s University campuses and branch properties. Officers will conduct security inspections of all buildings, arenas, parking and storage facilities. Candidates for this position must have excellent verbal and written communication skills. They must be customer service oriented and willing to take the extra step to assist people in need. Public Safety Personnel are responsible to respond to all calls for assistance which include crimes in progress, past crimes, vehicle accidents, personnel injuries, medical and aided cases, fires, smoke, burglar and duress alarms and render aid as required. Officers will be adept in first aid, CPR and the use of an Automated External Defibrillator. Public Safety Officers are also required to operate a patrol vehicle in a safe and proficient manner in areas of high pedestrian traffic. Officers must be able to conduct field investigations concerning violations of the law or campus code of conduct violations observed or reported to them. Officers will request follow up action where and as needed. All Officers are required to engage with the various campus community departments checking on needs or security concerns. All Officers work under the direction of a sergeant or higher level supervisor. This job is an entry level position for non armed and non sworn Public Safety Officers.
- Public Safety Officers are responsible to Patrol their assigned posts or areas either on foot, bicycle, scooter, or in radio motor patrol vehicle. Officers will actively participate in crime prevention and community policing activities. Officers will be mindful of current crime trends on and around the campus grounds and take appropriate action to deter such activity.
- Public Safety Officers are responsible to respond to routine and emergency calls for service, many of which are unique to a campus environment, and take action, as necessary. Officers must be certified in administering CPR or First Aid, as needed, and must be proficient in the use of an Automatic External Defibrillator.
- Conduct security inspections of University facilities and areas, reporting conditions that present a hazard to the community.
- Direct pedestrian and vehicle traffic and enforce campus parking regulations.
- Conduct investigations and submit reports of infractions of rules and code of conduct violations.
- Officers will be required to perform general security services, including locking and unlocking buildings, rooms, laboratories and roadway gates. Officers will be prepared to assist students who require escorts in and around the campus property due to injury or accessibility issues. Public Safety Officers will also render aid to motorists who are having battery, tire or door lock problems.
- Officers, on occasion, will be required to work operational and special event overtime assignments.
- Officers may be required to perform campus access control in security kiosks (booth) by documenting vehicle license plates and issuing parking permits. Pedestrian traffic entering the campus after normal hours may be monitored and required to display a university identification card to Public Safety Officers.
- Officers will use various computers and other equipment as a routine function of their position. Perform related duties, as assigned.
- All Public Safety Officers will obtain a New York State Fire Guard License within six months of employment; the license must be renewed by the Officer every two years and an updated copy given to the Executive Director.
- Candidate must hold a High School diploma or equivalent with advantage going to those with college or university degrees.
- Candidate must be a United States citizen.
- 5-7 years preferred experience.
- Candidate must possess a current New York State Security guard license as well as a current valid NYS motor vehicle operator’s license.
- Candidate must successfully complete various fitness and medical assessments, be in overall good health and able to wear an N-95 respirator mask as mandated by OSHA regulations.
- Candidates must be 23 years old or older and willing to work on all shifts, during various hours, including weekends and holidays.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
“All persons hired are required to be vaccinated against the COVID-19 virus, subject to the reasonable accommodation provisions of applicable law.”
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located in Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.