Assistant Director of Career Development and Diversity Initiatives - Law School
Administrative/Professional --> Law School
St. John’s established in 1870, has three New York City campuses; a graduate center in Hauppauge, NY; international locations in Rome, Italy; Limerick, Ireland; and Paris, France; and study abroad locations around the world. The Princeton Review and other top rankings consistently recognize the University’s outstanding academics, diverse student body, dynamic internship and volunteer opportunities, focus on student life, and diverse study abroad offerings. St. John’s University offers more than 100 undergraduate and graduate programs in its six colleges and schools, with a growing number of programs offered online. The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education and 12 other major academic and professional associations.
A dedication to diversity, equity and inclusion is at the heart of our mission. As a Catholic and Vincentian university, St. John’s is committed to institutionalizing practices of inclusive excellence to ensure that we welcome and celebrate the intrinsic worth of all members of our community. We will become an even stronger university as we enhance equity at every level of our institution. As noted in our Vision Statement, our graduates will excel in the competencies and values required for leadership and service in a rapidly evolving world.
Assistant Director of Career Development and Diversity Initiatives
St. John's University School of Law is seeking a candidate for the position of Assistant Directorof Career Development and Diversity Initiatives. The Career Development Office at St. John's provides proactive, individualized, student-centered placement services to J.D. and LL.M. students and alumni. Professional staff members are assigned a mix of lls, 2Ls, 3Ls, and recent graduates.
- Help assigned students discover their areas of interest and obtain summer and permanent employment positions that meet students' goals. In recognition of the interrelationship between academic advising, the curriculum, externships, and clinics, members of the Career Development Office liaise with faculty, alumni, and administrators on a regular basis.
- Meet with students on a regular basis, communicating opportunities and advice in-person, by phone, by videoconference and by e-mail. Assist students with job search strategies, application documents, interview skills and their professional development. Develop programs, services, and materials that will assist students and alumni in developing effective job search strategies.
- Record, update, and report on data to track students' and graduates' employment outcomes success.
- Collect information on, advertise, develop programming on, and manage diversity-related employment programs.
- Work with the Employer Outreach Team to generate employment opportunities for diverse students.
- Build relationships with employers and alumni, as well as law firm and other organization diversity directors.
- Support, and work to improve the career outcomes of, our diverse students.
- Collaborate with the law school's Director of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion to create an inclusive environment, to encourage valuing of persons from different backgrounds and promoting a law school atmosphere that assures equitable treatment for all persons.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Superior interpersonal, writing and administrative skills; knowledge of the legal profession.
- A Juris Doctor degree is preferred.
- Career counseling or legal recruiting experience preferred.
- DEI experience preferred.
- 3 or more years' professional experience required.
Please be sure to submit a resume and a cover letter.
St. John’s offers a competitive compensation program which is commensurate with your qualifications, experience, and contingent upon the departmental budget. We also offer an extremely comprehensive benefits program to meet the diverse needs of our workforce. Along with exceptional benefits such as medical, dental, life insurance, long term disability insurance, tuition remission, generous 403(b) employer contribution, employee assistance program, and liberal paid time off policies, faculty and staff can also enjoy St. John’s performing arts, libraries, bookstores, dining facilities, campus recreation and sporting events.
Any offer of employment is subject to receipt by St. John’s University of satisfactory references, verification of employment and education.
St. John’s University is an Equal Opportunity Employer and encourages applications from women and minorities. All qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, status as an individual with a disability, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
This position is located at 8000 Utopia Parkway, Queens, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.