Warehouse Associate Backup Driver
Operations --> Warehouse
Irby is one of the ten largest electrical distribution companies in the United States, with nearly $1 Billion in annual sales and over 900 employees across more than 60 branches in 25 states. Irby has experienced incredible growth over the past 5 years. This presents many outstanding career & development opportunities throughout the country in various locations, including cities such as: Jackson, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Orlando, Syracuse, Nashville, Denver, Minneapolis and Oklahoma City.
Irby was a pioneer in the early days of the electrical business, founded in 1926, and continues to be an industry leader in philanthropic involvement and community activity. Irby is also part of the Sonepar family of operating companies, consisting of the finest locally managed electrical and industrial distributors throughout the United States. Sonepar is the world leader in electrical distribution.
This position performs manual and clerical duties related to shipping, receiving, inspecting, storing, issuing and delivering a variety of materials, equipment and supplies.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ability to load, unload, and move materials within or near work site by performing the following duties.
- Conveys materials from storage or work sites to designated area per Sales Ticket.
- If the merchandise listed on the Sales Ticket is not in stock, check with the writer of the ticket before backordering. Also, check the Special Order area to see if we are holding item for a specific customer.
- Reads work order or follows oral instructions to ascertain materials or containers to be moved. Rechecks orders that someone else has assembled as an additional service to our customer.
- Packages merchandise for shipment by common carrier. Appropriate packaging will depend upon the merchandise involved.
- Loads materials into vehicles and installs strapping, bracing, or padding to prevent shifting or damage in transit.
- Loads and unloads materials onto or from pallets, trays, racks, and shelves by hand. Unloads incoming vehicles and prepare necessary receiving documents after carefully counting the merchandise. Handles freight claims as required.
- Attaches identifying tag or labels to materials or marks information on cases, bales, or other containers.
- Lifts heavy objects by hand or with power hoist, and cleans work area, machines, and equipment to assist machine operators.
- Learn to safely operate all the necessary equipment in work area. Operates industrial truck or electric hoist to assist in loading or moving materials and products.
- Familiarize yourself with all electrical merchandise and where it is stored in the warehouse. Relocates or rearranges merchandise as required. Fabricates and installs racks and shelving as required.
- Be courteous in all contact with company customers.
- Locks and unlocks doors as assigned. Assist in keeping all work areas clean.
- Counts, weighs or measures incoming or outgoing items to compare identifying information and variety against bills of lading, invoices, orders or other records; examines incoming shipments for damage or shortages and corresponds with shipper to rectify; completes paperwork or forms required for documentation.
- Determines method of shipment utilizing knowledge of shipping procedures, routes and rates; prepares materials for shipping by weighing, packaging and stamping; prepares necessary shipping forms such as bills of lading.
- Provides on the job training to lower level employees and resolves problems utilizing knowledge of shipping/receiving/stock operations.
- Operates material handling equipment such as forklifts, pallet jacks, hand trucks or dollies to move stock or reorganize storage.
- Participates in routing, counting and inspecting items while loading and unloading trucks; delivers and returns items.
- Ensures proper documentation and package marking with appropriate placards when moving hazardous materials.
- Fills orders and issues materials and supplies per requests; documents transactions appropriately; prepares requisitions and computes costs; keeps records of storeroom inventory.
- Participates in ordering or purchasing standard stock items, such as recommending additions or deletions to standard stock items or ordering replenishments within established procedures and limits.
- To make deliveries to customer job sites or sites of business while adhering to all safety procedures.
- Will drive approximately 40% of the work week and/or on an as needed basis.
- Drivers must load and unload materials, make deliveries, and return undelivered material to the warehouse.
- Checks quantities of goods received and obtain proper signatures for deliveries.
- Makes deliveries of merchandise to customers, other Irby branch locations and/or to final destination. Projects a positive company image when delivering directly to our customers.
- Assists with the loading and unloading of deliveries.
- Inspects truck for defects before and after trips and submits report indicating truck condition. Be responsible for general care and maintenance of the vehicle assigned to driver.
- Checks items assembled to make certain the proper items are being delivered as per the sales ticket.
- Knowledge of electrical goods is important and the truck driver is expected to acquire this knowledge for positive identification of delivered items.
- Observes all safety rules and regulations, particularly the hazards encountered with driving a truck. Maintains a good driving record and be properly licensed as a commercial driver.
- Understands and abides by the Federal Highway Administration Rules and Regulations for Interstate drivers where applicable. Maintains driver log according to D.O.T. regulations.
- Keeps accurate records and submits expense reports for reimbursement of expenditures as required.
- Have a good working knowledge of the delivery area served.
- Schedules all necessary deliveries and pick-ups of materials and packages for company using the most efficient and effective means.
- Basic computer skills to be able to navigate within Irby Inventory Operating Systems
- Knowledge of automated or computerized system operation.
- Knowledge of record keeping practices.
- Knowledge of safety practices.
- Skill in lifting heavy packages and objects.
- Skill in operating forklift or other materials handling equipment.
- Skill in operating large vehicles in tight and congested areas.
- Knowledge of shipping and receiving practices.
- Knowledge of Company policies and procedures.
- Skill in organizing and prioritizing personnel and work activities.
- Ability to effectively communicate.
- Knowledge of branch product lines.
- Two to three years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position is located at 10302 East 58Th Street, Tulsa, OK. View the Google Map in full screen.