Sr. Substation Estimator
Irby is one of the ten largest electrical distribution companies in the United States, with over $1 Billion in annual sales and over 900 employees across more than 60 branches in 25 states. Irby has experienced incredible growth over the past 5 years. This presents many outstanding career & development opportunities throughout the country in various locations, including cities such as: Jackson, Dallas/Ft. Worth, Orlando, Syracuse, Nashville, Denver, Minneapolis and Oklahoma City.
Irby was a pioneer in the early days of the electrical business, founded in 1926, and continues to be an industry leader in philanthropic involvement and community activity. Irby is also part of the Sonepar family of operating companies, consisting of the finest locally managed electrical and industrial distributors throughout the United States. Sonepar is the world leader in electrical distribution.
This position is responsible for estimating substation opportunities with utility contractors, E.P.C firms and renewable energy developers. The estimator will work from bills of material provided by the customer, and/or perform a take-off from drawings, match products to suppliers, prepare pricing and answer commercial questions required to complete the proposal. Be the trusted advisor to a group of customers with relationships developed over years of interaction t. Take the necessary actions to achieve targeted revenue and profits for the business by performing the following duties:
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Owns the Irby relationship at key accounts.
- Represents Irby as the key Liaison to customer Engineering, Purchasing and Upper Management.
- Acts as a leader of the Project Services Team Responsible for estimating, bidding and/or managing project-oriented work for both prospective and existing business relationships being presented through our Project Services Team.
- Assesses the performance risk to Irby in executing the project to customer requirements.
- Mentor project estimators to develop their knowledge and skill on the products, processes, and selling required to become a Senior Estimator.
- Understands the profit drivers of distribution and can influence customers, and suppliers.
- Take on the more technically difficult to define projects, including performing take-offs from engineered drawings to create BOM that can be delegated to project estimators for vendor quotations.
- Utilize tools used by the Project Services Team to organize our opportunities, manage the project in the system, and insure payment.
- Understands sales objectives, strategies, advertising, and promotions and works to achieve them as presented with this role.
- Ability to perform take-offs from electrical plans, specifications and drawings.
- Unbound thinking or the ability to create insightful, exciting solutions for both customer and Company problems with major account sales.
- Understands P&L drivers.
- Technical learning: quick study on using technology in support of sales process.
- Must be PC literate with knowledge of MS Office (Word, Excel, & PowerPoint) required.
- Excellent written, verbal, presentation and negotiation skills.
- Must be a team player!
- Preferred minimum 7 years industry or distributor sales experience is desired. Bachelor`s degree (B. S.) in Engineering from four-year college or university; or 10 years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
This position is located at 7125 Belton St, Fort Worth, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.