Behavioral Health Social Worker
Current Openings --> Detention Healthcare
STG International is accepting resumes of qualified candidates for the Social Worker position to work full-time providing medical care to detainees in custody in support of ICE Health Service Corps at the Immigration and Customs Enforcement Medical Facility.
The ICE Health Services Corps (IHSC) exists within the organizational structure of the United
States Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE), Enforcement and Removal Operations
(ERO) under the supervision of the Department of Homeland Security (DHS). The United States
Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps Officers, civil service staff and contractors comprise the healthcare professionals working together to provide quality healthcare services.
IHSC serves as the medical experts for ICE for detainee health care.
IHSC’s mission is to provide medical care to maintain the health of individuals in the custody of
ICE through an integrated health care delivery system, based on nationally recognized correctional, detention and residential health care standards. The Agency is committed to providing healthcare services to protect the nation’s health, reduce global disease and provide medical support for the law enforcement mission of the safe apprehension, enforcement and removal of detained individuals involved in immigration proceedings. IHSC is committed to ensuring a system of care that is ethical, responsible, and accountable through rigorous surveillance and monitoring activities.
MAJOR DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provides direct care to patients within discipline Scope of Practice and performs functions in accordance with current accepted practice, licensure, certification, credentialing and or granted privileges.
- Provides treatment of persons throughout the life span as appropriate to discipline and facility setting.
- May be expected to respond to and or coordinate response to medical emergencies.
- Assesses and evaluates the mental health of residents according to DSM V diagnosis and refer to outside treatment facilities if necessary.
- Works in conjunction with ICE/OPLA legal counsel providing written evaluation reports on the mental health status of individuals placed on SMI (Seriously Mental Illness) List.
- Provides weekly reports/updates on individuals on SMI list to HQ mental health department.
- Provides weekly reports/updates on individuals housed in segregation and report to HQ Behavioral Health Unit.
- Provides brief counseling, psychotherapy, behavioral analysis, and substance abuse education, as required by ICE Residential Standards.
- Provides mental health treatment to individuals that are present with signs/symptoms of sexual or physical assault, abuse, and/or neglect using the multidisciplinary approach.
- Provides mental health treatment to individuals that present with signs/symptoms of suicidal, dangerous, or psychotic behaviors.
- Provides post-discharge follow up for individuals returning from inpatient mental health treatment.
- Serves as the suicide prevention program coordinator.
- Possesses a high level of skill in assessing, recognizing, and treating behavioral or other mental health conditions that interfere with successful treatment.
- Serves as a mental health consultant to other health professionals at the facility.
- Provides education and training to medical, ICE, and contract staff.
- Responsible for all case management which may involve community treatment placement, hospital placement, or other after care situations.
- Coordinates and monitors program functions including Post Order Custody Reviews (POCR), and Availability of Health Care Programs.
- Obtains information to assist IHSC in responding to external inquiries regarding ICE Case Management Unit related issues.
- Develops training/education materials as required.
- Coordinate with HQ Behavioral Health Unit for continuity of care for placement in, or treatment of, residents in appropriate settings as required by the conditions of release outlined by ICE.
- Utilizes EHR system for completing treatment authorization request, case entry and exit reports.
- Assists the case manager in the development of detail oriented.
- Assists the local performance improvement coordinator in completion of clinical performance improvement activities/risk identification and management directly related to mental health healthcare in countries worldwide.
- Performs record keeping functions in accordance with program policies and position.
- Maintains functional proficiency and ease of use utilizing electronic health records as required by, and appropriate to, position.
- Completes and passes all discipline specific competencies testing, initially and annually.
- Completes all initial, annual and ad hoc training as required/assigned.
- Maintains patient confidentiality, and confidentiality of medical records, in compliance with the Privacy Act and HIPAA regulations in all work activities.
- Adheres to, and maintains awareness of, IHSC Policies, Procedures, Directives, Operational Memoranda and accreditation standards as prescribed by ICE/IHSC.
- Adheres to, and participates in, IHSC’s Safety, Prevention, Infection and Control, Quality Improvement, Patient Education and other programs and collateral duties as appropriate to position.
- Attends and participates in general/medical staff meetings.
- Other duties as assigned.
ATTRIBUTES AND PROFESSIONAL QUALITIES:
- Strong oral and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Critical thinking skills
- Cultural competency.
- Integrity and honesty.
- Verbal and written proficiency in Spanish (preferred, not required).
- Experience in a detention/correctional or residential healthcare setting (preferred, not required).
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:Degree issuing institution and or program must be accredited by an entity recognized by the U.S.Department of Education
- Master’s Degree in Social Work from a program accredited by the Council on Social Work Education (CSWE).
- Minimum of one (1) year experience as a Licensed Clinical Social Worker, at the independent level as recognized in the state licensed, whereby clinical supervision is not required.
- A current, permanent, full and unrestricted license to practice social work in the state where the duty station is located.
- This position requires the candidate to practice independently according to the state in which they are licensed.
- This position does not require privileging by IHSC.
- Maintains BLS for Healthcare Providers® certification through the American Heart Association.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Knowledge of the case management process commensurate with training and education at the master’s level.
- Knowledge of and experience in the indications and contraindications, complications and techniques in the various social work treatment and diagnostic modalities.
- Ability to properly use equipment, materials and supplies in simple diagnostic and treatment procedures.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural and multi-lingual environment.
- Ability to utilize telephonic interpreter/translation services to complete assigned duties if not fluent in a language the patient understands.
- Ability to adapt to sudden changes in schedules and flexibility in work requirements.
- Ability to communicate proficiently in English (verbal and written) in order to develop positive rapport with patients, co-workers and other stakeholders.
- Ability to establish and maintain positive working relationships in a multidisciplinary environment.
- Ability to navigate in an electronic work environment including electronic health records, web based training and communications.
- Knowledge of, and moderate proficiency in, common Microsoft Office programs, specifically Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and SharePoint.
- Knowledge of regulations (HIPAA/Privacy Act) regarding the confidentiality of patient medical records and information as well as Personally Identifiable Information (PII).
DUTY HOURS/ON-CALL REQUIREMENTS:
- This full time position requires availability to work days, evenings, as well as weekends and holidays Night shifts may be, but are generally not required.
- This full time position is required to provide rotational on-call coverage and may need to return to the facility to provide care during the coverage period.
- IHSC operates 24/7/365; this position is required to respond during an emergency activation.
- The Department of Homeland Security’s Personnel Security Unit (PSU) must render a Preliminary Favorable Fitness Determination to be considered a qualified candidate.
- A Complete Favorable Fitness Determination must be rendered by PSU upon completion of initial and subsequent background investigations to meet the requirements of this position.
- Required to walk unaided at a normal pace for up to 10 minutes and maintain balance.
- Required to respond to any medical emergency within 4 minutes, where a fast walk or jog may be necessary to provide assistance.
- Required to perform CPR/emergency care standing or kneeling.
- Must have the ability to assist sick, injured or aging detainees or staff exiting the building during an emergency (may require lifting, dragging, wheeling or carrying someone who weighs significantly more than self).
- Must be able to see, hear and smell with or without the use of aides if necessary (exceptions on a case by case basis).
- Must easily alternate between kneeling and standing.
- Must be able to lift, push, or carry 30 pounds.
- Must perform the duties in a stressful and often austere environment without physical limitations.
- Must be capable of standing on hard services (cement floors) for long periods of time.
SUPERVISORY CONTROLS:This is a contract position and supervisory controls will be set forth by the Contractor . Technical oversight will be provided by the Government Technical Monitor (GTM).
STG International, Inc (STGi) is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers a competitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STG International, Inc. is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.
Medical Corps - 60J, 60L, 61F, 61H, 61N, 61R,62B
Medical Specialist Corps - 65B, 65C, 65D
Nurse Corps - 66B,66H, 66P
Medical Service Corps – 67G, 67J
Medical CMF – 68A, 68B, 68E, 68F, 68G, 68J, 68Q, 68R, 68S, 68T, 68W, 68X, 68Y
This position is located at 15850 Export Plaza Drive, Houston, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.