Environmental Health & Safety Technician
Clerical and Administrative
Job Title: Environmental Health and Safety Technician
FLSA: Hourly, Non-Exempt
EEO Category: Admin Support Workers
Revision Date: August 23, 2021
The Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) Technician will be responsible for assisting the EHS Specialist with developing, implementing, managing, and providing oversight of the organization’s EHS programs and procedures in the manufacturing facilities.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Inspect work areas and equipment to ensure compliance with company, state, and federal safety policies and regulations; cite dangerous areas and processes and recommend corrective action.
- Distribute and track issuance of PPE to company staff according to employee role, tasks, and department.
- Monitor company PPE inventory and replenish supplies accordingly.
- Prepare, distribute, and post various health and safety material and announcements.
- Assist in spill clean-up as needed.
- Design and implement workplace processes and procedures that help protect workers from hazardous work conditions.
- Conduct new hire Safety orientation and training.
- Maintain SDS (MSDS) formal document library; update SDS’s as needed.
- File workers comp claims, maintain employee Work Status Reports and assist with case management.
- Maintain the Company Dashboard and applicable OSHA occupational injury logs and report safety statistics as required.
- Assist in coordinating the daily activities of safety in support of the operations team.
- Assistant management in near miss and incident reporting and investigation.
- Assist managers and supervisors in preparation and delivery of disciplinary action following safety policy violations.
- Conduct activities in a safe and healthy manner and work in accordance with established safety and company requirements.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist in driving continuous improvement through safety analyses, audits, and investigations.
- Assist in maintaining and updating environmental compliance for hazardous waste, storm water, and air permits.
- Maintain comprehensive knowledge of safety regulations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
Work is performed in an office and uncontrolled atmosphere. Exposure to harsh conditions—such as: dust, fumes, chemicals, hazardous materials, noise, and varying weather and temperatures—for short periods of time is possible. All employees are required to follow safety standards and wear all personal protective equipment in designated areas. Shift work may be required as production demands change.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential function of this job. While performing the duties of this position, the employee will regularly be required to walk, stand, use hands and fingers, grip, handle or feel; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance; stoop, kneel, crouch or crawl; talk and hear; and work in a consistent state of alertness and in a safe manner. Ability to lift and carry 30 lbs. on a regular basis is required. Considerable knowledge of Federal EPA/OSHA, State, and local regulations in the general industry. International experience with safety regulations is a plus.
KNOWLEDGE / SKILL / ABILITY / EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
- High School Diploma or equivalent required
- Associates or bachelor’s degree in accredited Safety or Environmental Health related program is strongly preferred.
- Considerable knowledge of Federal EPA/OSHA, State, and local regulations in manufacturing industry. International experience with safety regulations is a plus.
- Current CPR/ First Aid certification or ability to obtain certification within 6 months is required.
- Must possess broad technical expertise, business and industry knowledge, and process and people leadership capabilities.
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written is required.
- Exceptional attention to detail.
- Excellent organization and planning skills.
- Ability to effectively learn and acquire new knowledge and skills.
- Computer skills and an in-depth knowledge of Microsoft Windows based programs are required.
- Requires effective time management skills, personal conduct, and change management abilities.
- Ability to effectively interact with co-workers, clients, vendors, and other business contacts.
- Must comply with Roeslein & Associate’s core values for the safe and efficient operation of the business and maintain sound relationships among and with employees.