Purchasing Manager (88-0010327)
This job is in the Purchasing job family (Department), which includes positions that involve supervising or performing work to acquire supplies, services, and construction by purchase, rental, or lease through orders and/or small purchase procedures. The work requires knowledge of policies and procedures for delivery orders and small purchases as well as knowledge of commercial supply sources and common business practices related to sales, prices, discounts, units of measurement, deliveries, stocks, and shipments.
- Responsible for managing day to day purchasing operations and overall efficient and cost-effective procurement of goods and services for ongoing operations.
- Directs and coordinates activities of staff engaged in buying goods and services on behalf of the company.
- Oversees vendor sourcing and interviews to determine product availability and terms of sales.
- Represents the company in negotiating contracts and formulating policies with vendors and/or suppliers.
- Manages vendor agreements and serves as an escalation point for the review of contracts and terms and conditions, ensuring compliance with company policies and best practices. Responsible for the resolution of vendor or contractor grievances, and claims against suppliers.
- Reviews purchase order claims and contracts for conformance to company policy.
- Analyzes market and delivery systems to assess present and future material availability.
- Contracts and arranges for disposal of surplus material and scrap.
- Assists sales on mill inquiries and metallurgy assistance, when required.
- Develops and implements instructions regarding purchasing systems, policies, and procedures.
- Develops and administers various procurement procedures across the company.
- Develops purchasing goals, objectives, and systems, and recommends necessary changes.
- Recommends new approaches, policies, and procedures to effect continual improvements in efficiency of procurement operations and services performed and re-evaluates them for cost effectiveness.
- Identifies industry trends and other indicators to improve overall procurement performance.
- Leads, coaches, and mentors a team of purchasing professionals while managing resource allocation and staffing.
- Responsible for adhering to safety processes and protocols.
- All other duties and responsibilities assigned by management.
- High School diploma/GED required, Bachelor degree preferred.
- Broad knowledge of purchasing, laws, policies, regulations, practices, methods and procedures required.
- Broad knowledge of applicable sources, prices, market factors and product characteristics of assigned products and/or services required.
- Understanding contracts types and applicability of usage required.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively required.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills required.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills required.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on a combination of factors including analysis, knowledge and experience, and judgment required.
- High level of interpersonal skills and ability to initiate and maintain cooperative relationships with suppliers required.
- Strong computer proficiency and working knowledge of Microsoft applications (Excel, Word, Powerpoint) required.
- 0-5 years of management experience or any equivalent combination of education and purchasing experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
This position is located at 501 W Boundary Street, Savannah, GA. View the Google Map in full screen.