Day Shift Cab Crane Operator
Plant / Warehouse Operations
This job is in the Plant family (Department), which includes positions responsible for supervising or performing work metals processing and distribution work within the Reliance family of companies. Work includes specialized equipment operation and/or supporting functions and requires a practical knowledge of the nature and operations and the materials, facilities, and methods employed by Reliance companies in metals processing and distribution.
- Crane operators ensure safe movement as well as safe loading and unloading of large or bulky material with the use of overhead cranes.
- Crane operators are responsible for leading their entire team which participates in the moving such as spotters and flaggers.
- Operate stationary or traveling overhead crane to move, lift and position loads of heavy materials, with the aid of hoisting attachments like sling, electromagnet, hook or bucket. They observe proper load hook-up and determine load safety.
- Crane operators manipulate or depress crane controls which include levers, pedals, and buttons in order to regulate the direction and speed of hoist and crane movement based on verbal, written, and signal instructions.
- A crane operator also cleans and maintains hoisting and crane mechanism and inspects the crane for any defective parts and notify their supervisor about malfunctions and defects.
- The company may change these job requirements at any time and employees may be required to follow other job-related instructions and to perform other job-related duties at the direction of the supervisor. This job description does not alter the at-will nature of employment.
- Ability to show adequate manual dexterity, finger dexterity, arm-hand steadiness, and multi-limb coordination required.
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions as applied to work situations required.
- Basic measurement skills, including taking, converting, and/or using measurements of length, width, height, and weight to perform basic math computations correctly required.
- Basic arithmetic skills to calculate and convert decimals and fractions required.
- Ability to multi-task, prioritize, and manage time effectively required.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on a combination of factors including knowledge, experience, and judgment required.
- Ability to measure parts and plates with a tape measure and record results
- Able to read and understand work orders
- Able to operate controls on a hand-operated overhead crane to move parts and plates on and off burning tables
- Able to operate a hand torch for various cutting operations
- Familiar with the safe operation of lock dogs and overhead loads
- Operate industrial equipment (including, but not limited to, power truck, pendant crane, and grinder) in a safe manner.
- Must be able to read and interpret engineering drawings, specifications, inspection instructions, and customer requirements.
- Must be able to lift up to 25 pounds and walk on concrete for extended periods of time.
- Two years of steel industry or production fabrication related experience, knowledge of quality systems standards
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Warehousing and material handling experience preferred.
This position is located at 501 W Boundary Street, Savannah. View the Google Map in full screen.