Driver (CDL, Exempt) 1 (88-0010103)
Delivery / Transportation
This job is in the Delivery family (Department), which includes positions the duties of which are to administer, supervise, or perform work involving the planning, directing, or operating of transportation equipment and service, including positions involving responsibility for driving, loading, and coordinating delivery.
- Responsible for operating commercial vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating over 26,001 lbs. to deliver or pick up merchandise, materials, and equipment to assigned destination and/or customers in a timely fashion.
- Responsible for regularly driving and performing other safety-affecting activities on motor vehicles (over 10,000 lbs.) used in long-range (over-the-road) transportation on public highways in interstate or foreign commerce.
- Follows appropriate safety procedures for transporting goods including securement of cargo for transport (may include use of tarps).
- Safely maneuvers trucks into loading or unloading positions.
- Loads and unloads vehicles as required.
- Performs daily vehicle inspections (as defined by the FMCSA) to ensure that the trucks are roadworthy and that safety, and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Records any inspection information or list of defects on the Daily Vehicle Inspection Report (DVIR) as required by the FMCSA.
- Uses an electronic logging device (ELD) to log daily activities as required by the FMCSA.
- Reports traffic incidents, including, traffic accidents and violations, or damage to the vehicles to supervisory staff.
- Reads bills of lading and manifests to determine assignment details.
- Checks all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate and obtains receipts or signatures for delivered goods or collects payment for services when required.
- Responsible for adhering to safety processes and protocols.
- Overnight travel may be required.
- All other duties and responsibilities assigned by management.
- High School diploma/GED preferred.
- Valid Commercial Driver’s License (CDL) per assigned vehicle type required.
- Successful completion of a road test required.
- Ability to meet company insurability standards required.
- Ability to meet FMCSA drug and alcohol clearinghouse requirements.
- Ability to meet all driver qualification requirements per Federal regulations (per 49 CFR part 391) required.
- Ability to meet current Motor Vehicle Record (MVR) quality criteria as defined by Federal regulations and/or company policy required.
- No drug violations during the previous 5 years and proof of completion of a certified SAP program for violations over 5 years old required.
- Basic knowledge of laws and government regulations and/or agency rules pertaining to interstate transportation required.
- Ability to read and comprehend written instructions as applied to work situations required.
- Basic measurement and arithmetic skills, including taking, converting, and/or using measurements of length, width, height, and weight to perform basic math computations correctly required.
- Ability to develop and maintain good working relationships with supervisors, co-workers, and customers/vendors required.
- Ability to make sound decisions based on a combination of factors including knowledge, experience, and judgment required.
- 0-5 years of relevant experience or any equivalent combination of education and experience that provides the required knowledge, skills, and abilities required.
- 2 years of commercial driving experience with relevant cargo preferred.
This position is located at 501 W Boundary Street, Savannah, GA. View the Google Map in full screen.