OTR Driver (92-1)
Delivery / Transportation
Our drivers are considered Over the Road Drivers, however, drivers are back home each day 90% of the time.
Drivers are hired based on the following minimum verifiable qualifications:
- Minimum one (1) year over-the-road driving experience
- Pre-employment DOT physical
- No more than one (1) serious moving violation in the previous three (3) years
- Current CDL in one state only
- Familiarity with all DOT rules and regulations
- Must be able to read and write
- Must pass pre-employment drug and alcohol screening
- Must pass a pre-employment background and citizenship check
Drivers begin their employment at Chatham Steel on a conditional basis. Drivers will receive weekly pay during this initial phase. Once employed, each driver must meet the following criteria:
- Favorable response to background checks from previous employers/governmental agencies
- Demonstrate a familiarity with steel
- Must pass a road test; conducted by the truck leasing agency or conducted by a senior CDL Driver.
- Must favorably complete a period as an assistant to a senior driver when possible. (2 weeks recommended)
- The safety committee, (composed of the Transportation Manager, Division Manager (when appropriate), and the two most senior drivers), will recommend approval based on the following:
- Tie down
- Throwing Chains
- Product identification
- Paperwork procedures
- General communication skills (towards customers and fellow employees)
When a driver has completed this conditional period, he begins his duties as a solo driver. This begins a ninety-day probationary period. At the end of this period, the Transportation Manager will evaluate the driver’s performance. A similar evaluation is conducted annually during the MVR Review process.
The company may change these job requirements at any time and employees may be required to follow other job related instructions and to perform other job related duties at the direction of the supervisor. This job description does not alter the at-will nature of employment.
This position is located at 2702 Cheek Road, Durham, NC. View the Google Map in full screen.