Class A Truck Driver (Req 45-1)
Delivery / Transportation
Class A driver needed for
- Tractor Trailer truck
- Monday through Friday
- 4 -18 stops daily depending on route
- Deliver Steel & Aluminum Tubing
- Use forklift, crane & pallet jack to load and unload material
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Check vehicles to ensure that mechanical, safety and emergency equipment is in good working order.
- Maneuver trucks into loading or unloading positions, following signals from loading crew and checking that the vehicle and loading equipment are properly positioned.
- Collect delivery instructions from appropriate sources to verify instructions and routes.
- Report vehicle defects, accidents, traffic violations or damage to the vehicle.
- Secure cargo for transport, using nylon straps, blocks, chains, binders or covers.
- Obtain receipts or signatures for delivered goods and collect payment for services when required.
- Inventory and inspect goods to be moved to determine quantities and conditions.
- Follow appropriate safety procedures for transporting dangerous goods.
- Perform basic vehicle maintenance tasks such as adding oil, fuel, radiator fluid and performing minor repairs.
- Read bills of lading to determine assignment details.
- Check conditions of trailers after contents have been unloaded to ensure there has been no damage.
- Check all load-related documentation to ensure that it is complete and accurate.
- Crank trailer landing gear up / down to safely secure vehicles.
- Climb ladders to inspect loads ensuring the cargo is secure.
- Place empty carts and pallets on trailer to facilitate movement and placement of goods.
Load truck in the morning and verify paperwork is in order before beginning route. Log-in to automatic tracking system. Following rules of the road and driving in a safe and courteous manner make deliveries and pick-ups at customer’s locations. Return to warehouse and report on days activities. Assist in filing paperwork. Care for and do light maintenance on vehicles.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds.
- Must hold a valid Class A CDL
- Have a current DOT medical card
- No more than two moving violations and no more than one accident in past 36 months on CDL
- No DUIs in last 5 years
- 12 months verifiable experience operating comparable truck required
- Ability to add, subtract and divide all units of measure, whole numbers, common fractions & decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio & percentage
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Examines load to be delivered to verify type of material
- Inspects truck for defects before and after delivery and submits report indicating truck conditions.
- Inspects truck equipment and supplies, such as tires, lights, brakes, gas, oil and water.
- Obtains customer signature, on receipt for delivery. Collects COD’s when necessary.
- Maintains truck log, according to state and federal regulations.
- Tie down and secure product before leaving.
- Comply with safety, warehouse and housekeeping requirements.
- Inspects truck for defects before and after trips for safety. This includes maintaining DEF fuel levels.
- Maintains driver log according to DOT regulations regarding mileage, driving hours, etc.
- Learns all delivery routes, and participates in the route rotation schedule.
- May be required to carry and maintains Company provided cell phone while on the clock so they can be reached at all times by dispatch, in accordance with Company and DOT hands free regulations.
- As necessary, assists customers and/or vendors in loading / unloading trucks, using any special equipment.
- Performs all deliveries and pick-ups in a save and efficient manner.
- On occasion, employee is required to pick up payment in cash or check form and turn it in to the credit department upon their return to the facility.
- Valid Class A License required
- Have a current DOT medical card
- 2 years of minimum experience
- Ability to add, subtract and divide in all unites of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percentage.
- High school diploma or equivalent
YEARS OF EXPERIENCE
- 2-5 years
LEVEL OF EDUCATION
- High School/GED
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS / WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Medium work - Exerting up to 50 pounds of force occasionally, and/or up to 20 pounds of force frequently, and/or up to 10 pounds of force constantly to move objects.
- Stand or Sit (Stationary position)
- Walk (Move, Traverse)
- Use hands/fingers to handle or feel (Operate, Activate, Use, Prepare, Inspect, Place, Detect, Position)
- Climb (stairs/ladders) or balance (Ascend/Descend, Work atop, Traverse)
- Stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl(Position self (to), Move)
- Talk/hear (Communicate, Detect, Converse with, Discern, Convey, Express oneself, Exchange information)
- See (Detect, Determine, Perceive, Identify, Recognize, Judge, Observe, Inspect, Estimate, Assess)
- Pushing or Pulling
- Repetitive Motion
- Field & Office setting; predominately controlled temperature environment
- Warehouse/Field setting; minimal temperature environment
This position is located at 1571 N. Johnson Avenue, El Cajon, CA. View the Google Map in full screen.