Senior Software Engineer II
IT + Computing
The New York Genome Center (“NYGC”) is looking for a detail-oriented software engineer to lead our next generation of data management and pipelining tools. As an engineer at NYGC, you will be responsible for writing software that follows industry best practices.
In a teamwork environment, you will write extensible, unit-tested software that adheres to the principles of DRY (don’t repeat yourself). Senior Software Engineers are the primary contributors driving our application platform forward: strong individual and team contributors, familiar with breaking down tasks into work plans and then driving those plans through design, implementation, testing, and deployment.
The requirements below represent the required knowledge, skill, and/or ability. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform essential functions.
Including but not limited to the following:
- Migrate on-premises applications/workflows to the cloud (GCP and/or AWS).
- Build de-coupled systems utilizing RESTful endpoints and lightweight systems.
- Build software using modern coding principles, continuous integration pipelines, and automation-first implementations.
- Implement features in object-oriented Python 3 applications for complicated problems and workflows.
- Work with internal scientists and staff to ensure user-centric development.
- Assist with requirement gathering and feature planning.
- Engage in code reviews and provide technical guidance to junior engineers.
Please note that this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties, or responsibilities required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change.
- BS in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, or a related field; and 7+ years related experience; or a master’s degree plus 5+ years related experience, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience with professional software engineering best practices for the full software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Experience collaborating and leading projects from start to finish.
- Experience with major cloud providers, including Google Cloud and Amazon AWS.
- Experience with containers, container orchestration, REST APIs, and microservices.
- Functional familiarity with common open-source database systems such as PostgreSQL
- Experience mentoring and directing junior engineers.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Experience estimating LoE (Level of Effort) for proposed application components and features.
- Empathetic and humble; committed to fostering a diverse and inclusive team.
- Experience working with platforms for shared data commons/ecosystems such as Gen3
- Familiarity with application security best practices; and,
- Familiarity with encryption's best cost-effective practices.
Don’t meet every single requirement? Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they meet every single qualification. At NYGC, we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive, and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyway. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
- Technical and Professional Skills: Consistently demonstrates skills and knowledge relevant to the current role; strives to expand the depth and breadth of technical and professional skills; works with a high level of integrity; exhibits focus and discipline; appropriately prioritizes, manages expectations, and delivers on commitments.
- Collaborative & Communicative: Models collaboration and teamwork; brings out the best in others; effectively works with all levels, internally and externally; respects and embraces the diversity of perspective; communicates clearly and listens carefully; use good judgment as to what to communicate and when to do so.
- Adaptable & Innovative: Adaptable and embraces change; develops new insights and pursues improvements and efficiency; fosters exchange of new ideas and willing to challenge the status quo; takes the initiative and is solution-oriented; engages in work with passion and curiosity.
NYGC has established a flexible work policy to allow employees and other staff to balance their work, personal commitments, and commuting challenges. The incumbent in this position is eligible for a flexible work schedule or hybrid remote work arrangement with supervisory approval.
Salary & Benefits
The pay range for this position is $125,750 - 167,000 per year; the base pay offered may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience.
In addition, NYGC offers a full range of medical, financial, and other benefits as well as generous time off. This includes Medical/Dental/Vision for employees & dependent(s); Vacation, Holidays, Sick, and Other Leave, including a paid winter break; a 401(k) match; Life Insurance; Flexible Spending Accounts; employee Tuition Reimbursement; flexible schedules and telework options for some positions; an Employee Assistance Program; and much more.
About the New York Genome Center
The New York Genome Center (NYGC) is an independent, nonprofit, academic research organization dedicated to advancing genomic research. NYGC scientists and staff are furthering new approaches to diagnosing and treating neurological diseases and cancer through their unique capabilities in whole genome sequencing, RNA sequencing, state-of-the-art analytics, and the development of genomic tools. NYGC concentrates specifically on disease-based research in the following areas: neuropsychiatric disease (autism, schizophrenia, bipolar), neurodegenerative disease (ALS, Alzheimer’s, Parkinson’s, Huntington’s), and cancer.
Located in Lower Manhattan, the New York Genome Center was founded by and remains closely affiliated with the leading academic medical centers and research universities in the New York region, engaging in research projects with and for these institutions. Essential to our collaborative work is an outstanding faculty whose members typically hold a joint appointment at NYGC and a partner university. They support our scientific mission by conducting independent research in areas of mutual interest to the broader scientific community and us.
Please note: We care greatly about our employees’ well-being, so NYGC has moved to a fully COVID-19-vaccinated work environment. You must be vaccinated against COVID-19 to work at NYGC, even if you are working partially remotely. If you are selected to interview for this role, we will explain our vaccination policy (including medical and religious exemptions) and ensure you are comfortable moving forward with further interviews.
Diversity, equity, and inclusion are central to NYGC’s core mission. We strive to create a workplace environment that is welcoming and fair to all, regardless of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, physical ability, or religion. We believe that when people of various backgrounds, life experiences, and perspectives work together in an inclusive and equitable environment, we gain new and valuable perspectives that otherwise would have been missed. Valuing and supporting all NYGC employees as individuals while helping them realize their full potential is critical to promoting greater collaboration, innovation, and discovery – fostering a sense of belonging for our greatest strength, our people. We recognize that there is still work to be done that will require sustained commitment from the entire organization.
The New York Genome Center is a VEVRAA Federal Contractor. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment and will not be discriminated against based on race, creed, color, gender, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, age, disability, genetic predisposition or carrier status, protected veteran or military status, domestic violence victim status, partnership status, caregiver status, alienage or citizenship status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. NYGC takes affirmative action in support of its policy to hire and advance in employment individuals who are minorities, women, protected veterans, and individuals with disabilities.
FLSA Status – Exempt
This position is eligible for visa sponsorship and relocation assistance within the US.
This position is located at 101 Avenue of the Americas, 7th Floor, New York, NY. View the Google Map in full screen.