Custodian- 3rd Shift
Position Title: Custodian
Reports To: Facilities Manager
Posting Date: October 26, 2021
Starting Salary: $15.22 per hour plus a shift differential of $0.55 per hour
Work Hours: Sunday- Thursday 9:00 pm- 5:30 am
Excellent benefits package, including medical, dental, vacation, paid sick leave, and tuition benefit. For more details about benefits, go to https://www.nmc.edu/hr/ and click on Salaries and Benefits.
All Custodial positions are subject to the terms and conditions between Northwestern Michigan College and Service Employees International Union Maintenance/Custodial Labor Agreement.
Keeps college buildings in clean, safe and orderly condition by performing the following duties.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES and LICENSES
- High school diploma or GED.
- Must possess or have the ability to obtain a valid unrestricted Michigan driver’s license.
- Ability to work on-campus in Traverse City, Michigan and wear required P.P.E. (Personal Protective Equipment)
- Experience working in academic or hospital setting.
- Experience working with swing floor scrubbers, walk-behind floor scrubber and carpet extractors.
- A working knowledge of the theory, operation and upkeep of electrical and mechanical janitorial equipment.
FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES: Essential for all NMC employees
- Ethical behavior and integrity
- Commitment to quality service, responsible stewardship, continuous improvement
- Agility/adaptability/tolerance for ambiguity
- Accountability/personal responsibility
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Create/Contribute to a culture of innovation and thoughtful risk-taking
- Value all people
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Cleans offices, classrooms, laboratories, cafeteria, etc., including such tasks as high dusting; cleaning walls; cleaning desks, bookcases, tables, etc.; cleaning white and black boards; dusting; dust and wet mopping; cleaning sinks; and vacuuming.
- Cleans restrooms, including high dusting; cleaning walls; sanitizing fixtures; dust and wet mopping floors; scrubbing floors as needed.
- Operates cleaning equipment for hard surface floors and carpets, which includes major cleaning equipment such as roto, burnishers, auto scrubbers and extractors.
- Performs total carpet care, including extraction and plating, and all other phases of carpet cleaning and care.
- Performs total floor care and treatment, including dust and wet mopping; edge cleaning; shower scrubbing; stripping; and refinishing.
- Cleans carts and equipment, stocks supplies; keeps custodial closet clean; and completes equipment preventative maintenance, i.e., battery water levels; clean equipment after use, etc.
- Washing all interior windows.
- Cleans snow and debris from sidewalks.
- Pickup and disposal of trash.
- Performs set-ups for events.
- Properly handles and mixes chemicals.
- Notifies supervisor concerning need for major repairs or additions to lighting, heating, and ventilating equipment.
- Performs material handling processes to include loading and hauling of materials and supplies, scheduled routine custodial supply deliveries, pick-up and delivery of laundry (mops, rags, etc.), pick-up and delivery of books, furniture, etc., assembly of furniture, arrangement and set up for athletic events, clubs, special events and departmental moves.
- Assists in the Campus wide Recycling Program.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; walk; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee is occasionally required to sit, climb or balance, talk or hear, and taste or smell. The employee must regularly lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, and depth perception.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet and/or humid conditions. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles, toxic or caustic chemicals, outside weather conditions, risk of electrical shock, and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
Non-Discrimination Policy Notice
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions. nmc.edu/nondiscrimination
Michigan Law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for employment must notify the employer in writing within 182 days after the need is known.
This is a full-time, 40 hour per week position. This is a third shift that is responsible for currently working Sundays through Thursdays, 9:00 pm to 5:30 am, full-time, year-round position.
Internal NMC Employee Applications are due by 8 am October 29, 2021.
External Applications will are due by 8 am November 16, 2021
All applications must be submitted online at http://www.nmc.edu/jobs. Only applications submitted online will be qualified for review.
For assistance with completing your online application call 231-995-2612 or 1-800-748-0566 x1025 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
All applicants are required to review the job description prior to applying.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is located at 1701 E. Front Street, Traverse City, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.