Supplemental - Technology Help Desk Assistant
This position provides first-level customer service support to all NMC computer account holders and assists the TSS Coordinator as directed. Key abilities to work at the Help Desk include dependability, excellent customer service, and technical acumen. All Tech Support Assistants provide basic troubleshooting support for PC and Macintosh software through on-site, phone, chat, and online correspondence (via tickets and email). The primary responsibility of this position is as an authentication specialist responsible for passwords and password security through account verification, account resets, account unlocks, and account troubleshooting. In addition, Tier 1 Technology Support Assistants troubleshoot, enter tickets, and escalate tickets to appropriate departments as necessary, for Request Types including Wireless, Computer Hardware, Computer Software, Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, printing, and more.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES, AND LICENSES
- High School or GED
- One to three months related experience or one year of technology education
- Strong customer service and communication experience
- Familiarity with PC computers
- Experience with multiple browsers and browser-based applications
- Software skills in MS Word, MS Excel, G Suite Applications, and Moodle
- Computer skills in printing, client applications, and networking
- Technical computer troubleshooting ability
- Ability to follow technical procedures
- Strong documentation writing skills
- Ability to learn new technologies
- Strong technical acumen
- Familiarity with Macintosh computers
- Ability to write technical documentation
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED)
- Customer service and communication.
- Paid training throughout the year and training may be outside of regularly scheduled hours.
- Punctual, as Help Desk opens when you arrive. Login must be complete prior to the start of the shift.
- Willing to learn new skills in technology, customer service, communication, and more.
Help Desk Responsibilities:
- Answers Help Desk phone lines, chats, and tickets using good customer service. Be able to learn and use the online help desk system quickly and proficiently and be able to enter tickets with detailed information.
- Assist, diagnose, and resolve issues as able with Password Resets, Google for Employees and Students (Email, Calendar, Groups, and Apps), Microsoft Products, Explorer/Firefox/Chrome/Safari, network connectivity, file maintenance (Q:, S:, and N:) drives and other issues, and escalate these issues using the Web Help Desk Ticketing System.
- Provides support for PC and Macintosh software and hardware.
- Assist, diagnose, and resolve issues with eLearning (Moodle course management system) questions and escalate these issues using the appropriate procedures and the Web Help Desk Ticketing System.
- Assist during assigned Orientations with Password Resets and Parking Sticker Permit Process.
- Assist, diagnose, and resolve issues with printing, scanning, and faxing questions and escalate these issues using the Web Help Desk Ticketing System.
- Maintain Tanis Atrium computers, printers, and copiers with paper, toner, and cleaning during each Help Desk shift.
- Creates and assists with the development of support documentation for end-users and Help Desk staff as well as maintenance of Help Desk tools and resources.
Computer Lab Responsibilities:
- Assist students, staff, and faculty with hardware and software in the lab, including computers, printers, and scanners.
- Support JB 2nd Floor classrooms.
- Assist with questions regarding saving to storage devices that students, staff, and faculty may use, including Flash Drives, removable Hard Drives, NMC (Q:, S:, and N:) Drives, and others.
- Report any misuse of equipment or unethical use of computers to the Coordinator of Technology Support Services.
- Keep computer monitors, keyboards, tables, shelves, server carts, and counters clean and dust-free.
- Maintain printer paper and toner cartridge supplies. The employee is to assist in installing toner and recycling toner.
- Provide assistance on MS Imagine, robots, and computer-related items as required by CIT instructors.
FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES (ESSENTIAL FOR ALL NMC EMPLOYEES)
- Ethical behavior and integrity
- Commitment to quality service, responsible stewardship, continuous improvement
- Agility/adaptability/tolerance for ambiguity
- Accountability/personal responsibility
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Create/Contribute to a culture of innovation and thoughtful risk-taking
- Value all people
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
EDUCATION AND/OR EXPERIENCE
High school diploma or general education degree (GED); or one to three months related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
To perform this job successfully, an individual should have knowledge of Chrome, Firefox & Internet Explorer and browser-based applications internet software; MS Excel and G Suite Applications spreadsheet software and MS Word processing software, have computer skills in printing, client applications and networking, have technical troubleshooting ability, have strong technical acumen, and familiarity with Macintosh computers (preferred).
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out detailed but uninvolved written or oral instructions. Ability to deal with problems involving a few concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is occasionally required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to risk of electrical shock and vibration. The noise level in the work environment is usually quiet.
All supplemental employees are required to be part of the Michigan Public Schools Employee Retirement System (MPSERS) and are eligible for paid sick leave.
This position will work part-time. Flexible schedule, including nights and weekends.
Open until filled. Applications must be submitted online at http://www.nmc.edu/jobs. For assistance call 231-995-2612 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY NOTICE
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions. nmc.edu/nondiscrimination
Michigan Law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for employment must notify the employer in writing within 182 days after the need is known.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is located in Traverse City, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.