Supplemental - Food Service - Back of the House (Includes $500 Sign-On Bonus!)
POSITION TITLE: Supplemental - Food Service - Back of House
EXPECTED STARTING SALARY: $16.00/hour plus $500 bonus (see compensation section below for more information)
The Food Service Back of House position prepares food items needed for all NMC food service locations. This position reports to the Executive Chef.
EDUCATION, EXPERIENCE, CERTIFICATES, AND LICENSES
- 18 years or older
- Prior cooking experience
- Weekend/Evening availability
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (OTHER DUTIES MAY BE ASSIGNED)
- Collects food and beverage products and small wares required for item preparation.
- Operates food production equipment according to manufacturers’ instructions.
- Carefully follows standard recipes while preparing assigned items for food service.
- Assists in packaging of food items for dining service, delivery and retail sales.
- Takes and prepares client food orders as needed.
- Handles leftover food items as instructed by the Executive Chef.
- Returns soiled food preparation utensils and small wares items to the proper areas.
- Cleans & sanitizes assigned workstation areas as required.
- Consistently uses safe and sanitary food handling practices.
- Assists in cleaning of kitchen equipment and dishwashing as directed by supervisor.
- Attends staff meetings as required.
- Additional related duties as assigned by supervisor.
FOUNDATIONAL COMPETENCIES (ESSENTIAL FOR ALL NMC EMPLOYEES)
- Ethical behavior and integrity
- Commitment to quality service, responsible stewardship, continuous improvement
- Agility/adaptability/tolerance for ambiguity
- Accountability/personal responsibility
- Commitment to lifelong learning
- Create/Contribute to a culture of innovation and thoughtful risk-taking
- Value all people
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10's and 100's. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume, and distance.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to walk and taste or smell. The employee is occasionally required to sit; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 10 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 25 pounds and occasionally lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and the ability to adjust focus.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally exposed to wet and/or humid conditions; moving mechanical parts; fumes or airborne particles; toxic or caustic chemicals; outside weather conditions, and risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually loud.
The hourly wage for this position is temporarily set to $16.00/hour through December 31, 2021. New hires who work more than 60 hours will receive a $500 bonus.
All supplemental employees are eligible for retirement benefits and employer-provided match through the Michigan Public Schools Employee Retirement System (MPSERS) and paid sick leave.
This position will work part-time (maximum of 28 hours per week). This position offers consistent scheduling and flexible work hours with the expectations of some nights and weekends.
Open until filled. Applications must be submitted online at http://www.nmc.edu/jobs. For assistance call 231-995-2612 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
NON-DISCRIMINATION POLICY NOTICE
Northwestern Michigan College is committed to a policy of equal opportunity for all persons and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, religion, disability, genetic information, height, weight, marital status, or veteran status in employment, educational programs and activities and admissions.
Michigan Law requires that a person with a disability or handicap requiring accommodation for employment must notify the employer in writing within 182 days after the need is known.
All applicants are required to review the job description prior to applying.
Special Instructions to Applicants
This position is located at 1701 E. Front Street, Traverse City, MI. View the Google Map in full screen.