Intern - Freight Planning
The North Central Texas Council of Governments Transportation Department is seeking an Intern to support the maintenance, enhancement, and implementation of the freight planning program. Tasks will generally include technical and/or administrative support to freight planning projects and programs. Problem-solving and critical-thinking skills are essential to this position. Applicants wishing to be considered for this position should apply online at https://jobs.silkroad.com/NCTCOG/Careers. To be considered for any other NCTCOG position that may currently be open, applicants need to apply online separately for those postings. Qualified candidates must be attending an accredited college or university while in the position and able to work at the NCTCOG offices in Arlington, Texas. All submittals should include a cover letter summarizing work experience, as well as a current resume.
Ideal candidates should be able to work at least 20 hours a week while attending school.
Responsibilities may include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Entering, updating, and maintaining data
- Performing quality control checks on database inputs
- Researching project histories/modifications and providing an initial and follow-up analysis to team members and/or regional partners for project inquiries
- Assisting in the analysis of projects identified in Freight North Texas
- Conducting data collection tasks as directed by supervisor
- Providing professional support to Department subcommittees, which may include scheduling regular/cyclical meetings, developing agendas, and preparing handouts
- Responding to information inquiries as directed by supervisor
- Creating and maintaining ESRI Geographic Information System (GIS) maps, database tables, and reports
- Must possess strong data-entry skills
- Should be experienced in ESRI GIS software and understand how to create, maintain, and manipulate databases, maps, queries, and tables
- Must be proficient in the use of MS Word, MS Excel, and MS PowerPoint
- Working knowledge of MS Access software is a plus
- Must be able to write letters, memos, and email correspondence, as well as professional reports
- Must be able to coordinate and communicate with other team members and external partners
- Must be highly analytical
- Must be able to multi-task
- Must be willing to learn
- Must remain flexible during regularly changing priorities
- Must be able to accept new techniques and procedures quickly and integrate them into daily job functions
- Must work in time-sensitive situations
- Must be attending an accredited college or university during employment. Pursuit of a degree in a related field desired.
- No work experience required, at least one year of school-related experience preferred
Starting at $12.00 per hour
The North Central Texas Council of Governments (NCTCOG) is a voluntary association of, by and for local governments, and was established to assist local governments in planning for common needs, cooperating for mutual benefit, and coordinating for sound regional development. NCTCOG's purpose is to strengthen both the individual and collective power of local governments and to help them recognize regional opportunities, eliminate unnecessary duplication, and make joint decisions. Since 1974, the North Central Texas Council of Governments has served as the Metropolitan Planning Organization for transportation in the Dallas-Fort Worth Metropolitan Area and is responsible for developing transportation plans and programs that address the complex needs of the rapidly growing area. The planning area for transportation includes the 12 counties of Collin, Dallas, Denton, Ellis, Hood, Hunt, Johnson, Kaufman, Parker, Rockwall, Tarrant, and Wise.
The agency offers generous benefits, a friendly atmosphere with open communications for cooperative decision making, and challenging opportunities. The environment encourages both individual and team growth, responsibility and innovation.
NCTCOG is recognized as a military-friendly employer and values the knowledge, experience, and skills acquired during your military service career. All qualified veterans are invited to apply.
NCTCOG is an equal opportunity employer/program. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, national origin, disability, veteran status, and other classifications covered under federal, state, or local laws. Auxiliary aids and services are available upon request to individuals with disabilities. All candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and national criminal background check in order to receive an employment offer from NCTCOG.
The North Central Texas Council of Governments participates in the federal E-Verify program in order to verify a new employee’s authorization to work in the United States. Applicants must be lawfully authorized to work in the U.S.
Job postings are kept open for a minimum of 10 calendar days and may close anytime thereafter at the discretion of the hiring manager.
We are committed to providing equal employment opportunities for all employment actions, including but not limited to recruitment, hiring, training, promotion, transfer, and compensation without regard to race, color, religion, national origin, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), age, genetic information, disability, veteran status, political affiliation, or other protected class.
If you are an applicant with a disability and need an accommodation in order to apply for a position with NCTCOG, please contact Human Resources by calling 817-695-9234 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
This position is located at 616 Six Flags Drive, ARLINGTON, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.