Mental Health Technician
The Mental Health Technicians will have responsibility for the carrying out of the support components of the clinical service plan for their assigned service within the Elam Center. This will include: involvement in some modified supportive counseling/education groups for clients; supervision and monitoring of clients, and; transportation of clients for recreational and therapeutic activities.
• Assists with supervised group therapy sessions, recreational activities, and occupational therapy sessions.
• Escorts clients on excursions, clinic visits, personal, business or other appointments as assigned
• Ensures clients are sufficiently monitored and supervised at all times during work shift.
• Assists with new client orientation to ensure full understanding of program rules/procedures within twenty-four hours of their arrival.
• Respects and protects client’s rights and confidentiality. Ensures client’s respect the rights of others by appropriately intervening and/or reporting when program rule violations occur.
• Attends all appropriate client care conferences and staff meetings and participates in funding agency training activities as required.
• Be courteous, tactful, and discrete in relating to the public, other staff, and clients
• Maintains records and required paperwork in compliance with agency standards.
• Assists in the collection and reporting of statistical data to funding and other agencies as required.
• Receives and give verbal client condition reports at the beginning and end of respective work shifts.
• Contributes to Process Improvement/Project Teams as assigned.
• Documents problems carrying out job responsibilities; Critical incidents occurring with any client regardless of assignment during each shift on duty (include all unit rule violations); Any information needing to be passed on to subsequent shifts in order for them to efficiently carry out client goals and; observations made during random room checks during consumer's bedtime, if applicable.
• Perform basic housekeeping duties (maintaining a clean work area) as assigned by supervisor. This will include coordination with housekeeping to clean client rooms after their discharge (beds stripped and washed, restrooms cleaned, bedroom area cleaned.
• Performs other related duties as assigned.
• Ability to interact effectively with staff, clients, agencies, etc.
• Ability to remain courteous, tactful, and discrete in relating to the public, other staff, and clients.
• Adhere to the guidelines as stated in the Meharry Medical College Policy and Procedures Manual.
• Ability to acquire and maintain a functional knowledge of internal and funding agency standards of service delivery and documentation.
• Acquire, maintain, and practice skills regarding sensitivity to the cultural and socioeconomic backgrounds of clients and others contacted in carrying out job responsibilities.
- Bachelor’s degree in behavior sciences field, and a minimum of one year experience in the delivery of service to substance abuse clients; OR High School Diploma or equivalent, with a certification as a Tennessee Certified Peer Specialist (TCPS) with a minimum of one year experience; OR High School Diploma with a minimum of two years’ experience.
- Must obtain and maintain a valid Tennessee For-Hire (F endorsement). Driving record cannot contain items which prohibit or inflate cost of insuring driver.
For Further Information or Questions regarding this role, you may contact Meharry's Talent Acquisition Specialist below.
Jouvie Henderson (she, her, hers)