IT Support Engineer 1
An IT Support Engineer 1 is responsible for providing first tier support for M/I Homes users accessing business information systems. This position requires the ability to capture, document, research, and resolve technical issues reported. Additionally, support engineers must be able to escalate issues to an appropriate team, when appropriate, by using the ticketing system which manages and tracks requests and incidents. The IT Support Engineer 1 must be able to adjust to a rapidly-changing environment and demonstrate good interpersonal, communication (both verbal and written), and problem-solving skills. Ideal candidates will have a balance of customer service skills as well as an aptitude for the technical nature of the position.
Duties and Responsibilities:
The IT Support Engineer 1 has four primary areas of responsibility plus additional duties.
 Phone and Remote Support
- Provides live phone support for business applications and IT hardware to users in all departments and divisions; combines live phone support with real-time remote control support
- Must be able to clearly document, in writing with optional screen shots, end user incident descriptions and requests with sufficient details to continue troubleshooting efforts, transfer tasks to coworkers, and/or escalate to other teams.
- Escalate support issues, when needed, by gathering and documenting all information needed for the higher-tier help desk analysts or application specialist to continue troubleshooting.
- Provide friendly, personally-engaging user support that’s actively adjusted for varying technical abilities of supported colleagues.
 IT Equipment Builds and Repairs
- Configure new equipment including laptops, desktops, tablets, and other devices for all end users; this includes hardware and common Windows operating systems.
- Troubleshoot and complete basic repairs and system re-builds on desktops, laptops, tablets, and other devices with limited supervision.
- Coordinate with third party repair services on warranty-based repairs.
- Follow step-by-step processes and checklists so no equipment build configuration is missing.
- Troubleshoot and repair (often remotely) common end user IT equipment like scanners, keyboards, mice, printers, monitors, and other PC components.
 Model Home IT Setups and Troubleshooting
- Collaborate with sales and/or construction staff to set up, configure, and support model home IT equipment, including cable modems, routers, PCs, VoIP phones, and copiers.
- Assist with network troubleshooting in model homes, including review of router configurations and settings and calling the ISP when Internet services appear to be down.
- For models in the Columbus area, physically assist with new model setups including deployment of PCs, VoIP phones, routers, Wi-Fi, and Internet services.
 Documentation and Prioritization
- Document user incidents and requests in a timely matter as they come into the help desk by phone, email, in person, or directly into the ticketing system.
- In collaboration with the IT Support Manager, prioritize user support work that will provide the most benefit to the largest number of users (in general).
- Regularly contribute troubleshooting and setup articles to the knowledge base library.
 Additional Duties
- Collaborate with other IT Support Engineers when needed to resolve incidents and fulfill authorized user requests.
- Assist with projects assigned by the Help Desk Team Lead or the Help Desk Supervisor.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Experience with basic wired and wireless networking and consumer Internet services
- Experience with Windows 7 and Windows 10 setup, support, and troubleshooting
- Experience with Microsoft Office 2010, 2013, 2016, and Office 365 usage and support
- Familiarity with mobile devices (tablets, phones) and how to support them
- Knowledge of ITIL-based incident management and service request fulfillment processes is preferred but not required
- Information technology user support and communications skills, varied with user technical proficiency, is highly desirable
Additional Skills / Knowledge:
- Good verbal and written communication skills, especially when translating technical support matters for non-technical users in support conversations
- Ability to multi-task and adapt to a rapidly-changing environment
Minimum Education and Experience:
- Minimum 1 year of experience in relevant IT support role
- Bachelor or Associate degree is preferred but not required
- A+ certification preferred but not required
- Additional IT-related certifications preferred but not required
- Typical work schedule will be 8 hours per day on days assigned by the IT Support Manager in order to cover our 7-days-per-week support schedule; weekend shifts may be required at times
- After-hours project work may be required at times
- Local travel (day trips; Columbus and Cincinnati) may be required occasionally; national travel (overnight and multi-day) may be requested one or two times per year
- Some lifting will be required (computer equipment, accessories, and supplies)
- Entire work days of stationary telephone / headset / computer work will be required frequently (with periodic breaks included)
- The work environment is a typical corporate office with cubicles, conference rooms, etc.
M/I Homes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) profit sharing plan, employee stock purchase plan, employee home purchase plan and more.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
This position is located in Columbus, OH. View the Google Map in full screen.