Construction Area Manager
M/I Homes has been building new homes of outstanding quality and superior design for more than 40 years. Founded in 1976 by Irving and Melvin Schottenstein, and guided by Irving’s drive to always “treat the customer right,” we’ve fulfilled the dreams of over 140,000 homeowners and grown to become one of the nation’s leading homebuilders. M/I Homes started as a family business and grew into a national leader in a single generation with divisions in 16 markets, including Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio, Sarasota, and Tampa.
Job Summary: Possesses overall accountability and responsibility for the activities of a construction department in a given division or area. Controls and monitors budgets, scheduling and completion of all projects to ensure cost effectiveness, quality craftsmanship and customer satisfaction in accordance with Company goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Budgets time requirements to complete each phase of construction and to meet deadlines; determines required subcontractor staffing, hires and controls scheduling of such, and monitors and enforces compliance with building regulations, Company policies and safety program.
- Manages the production of all homes through coordination of schedules, inspections during various construction phases, resolution of customer service issues and production problems.
- Monitors progress of construction activities including subcontractor work, delivery and use of materials, supplies, tools and equipment. If applicable, obtains and monitors necessary permits and licenses.
- Provides guidance and direction to construction staff regarding subcontractor relations, design specifications, safety and quality control issues, production schedules, and communication of regulations and Company policies.
- Conducts weekly production staff meetings to discuss production issues, work schedules, enhance job quality and performance, and increase workflow efficiency.
- Reviews and analyzes site plans and blueprints in order to monitor and ensure compliance with plan specifications.
- Controls production costs through review and approval of time sheets, construction invoices, lock dates and bonuses.
- Reviews and analyzes reports relative to actual costs compared to budget to identify and assist in correcting cost overruns; meets with appropriate individuals to monitor and track costs to avoid overruns.
- May possess accountability for service department including hiring, supervision and direction of service personnel relative to inspections, repair and service of completed homes.
- Directly supervises production and, if applicable, service staff through leadership and guidance of operating activities. Carries out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with Company policies and procedures.
- Assist with special projects as requested and perform additional duties as required.
Bachelors’ degree (B.A. or B.S.) or equivalent in specialized training from a four-year college or technical school combined with five to ten years of related field experience. A thorough knowledge of management practices and leadership skills in order to manage daily operational activities; knowledge of residential home building industry with appropriate construction experience required.
Additional Skills and Abilities
- Adaptability and flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with ability to coordinate several major activities simultaneously.
- Ability to interpret, analyze and evaluate given information relative to construction processes and customer service issues.
- Decisiveness, decision-making and problem-solving abilities to select among alternative courses of action.
- Customer service oriented with excellent leadership and negotiating skills.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills for interaction with a variety of people inside and outside of organization.
- Upon request of and on terms established by the Company, obtains and maintains all appropriate state or local licenses (e.g., contractor’s license, real estate salesperson and/or broker license, etc.) for the mutual benefit of the employee and the Company and for use by the Company in connection with the Company’s sales, homebuilding and lending activities.
Work Conditions and Physical Requirements
Exposure to undesirable environmental conditions as well as some health and safety risks. Appropriate equipment and precautions required. Good driving record, possession of a valid driver’s license and auto insurance to comply with Company Auto policies. Travel to various home construction sites weekly.
M/I Homes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and paid holidays, 401(k) profit sharing plan, employee stock purchase plan, employee home purchase plan and more.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
This position is located at 400 International Parkway, Suite 470, Orlando, FL. View the Google Map in full screen.