Assistant Construction Manager
M/I Homes has been building new homes of outstanding quality and superior design for more than 40 years. Founded in 1976 by Irving and Melvin Schottenstein, and guided by Irving’s drive to always “treat the customer right,” we’ve fulfilled the dreams of over 140,000 homeowners and grown to become one of the nation’s leading homebuilders. M/I Homes started as a family business and grew into a national leader in a single generation with divisions in 16 markets, including Austin, Charlotte, Chicago, Cincinnati, Columbus, Dallas, Detroit, Houston, Indianapolis, Minneapolis, Nashville, Orlando, Raleigh, San Antonio, Sarasota, and Tampa.
Supervises and coordinates the on-site construction activities for assigned subdivision under the guidance of one or more Construction Managers and/or a Construction Area Manager. Monitors the completion of each construction phase through coordination, scheduling and inspection of each home. Ensures quality craftsmanship and customer satisfaction in accordance with Company goals and objectives.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Assists in budgeting time requirements to complete each phase of construction and meet deadlines by scheduling subcontractor work and deliveries; coordinating and monitoring progress of work; completion and closing dates.
- Acts as liaisons between operations, subcontractors and vendors; supervises and monitors work of subcontractors; provides follow up to ensure completion of work and accurate, timely deliveries.
- Responsible for coordination of a handful of homes under construction while continuing to train and learn the M/I Homes Construction Process.
- Reviews, on a daily basis, the production of homes via inspections during various construction phases to ensure quality control; monitors progress including delivery and use of materials, supplies, tools, machinery, equipment and vehicles.
- Reviews and analyzes site plans and blueprints in order to monitor and ensure compliance with plan specifications.
- Conducts pre-construction and pre-settlement meetings with home buyer; resolves customer service issues and production problems during construction phase to maintain customer satisfaction; completes finishing and warranty work as required.
- Assists in the control of production costs through review and approval of, production and service invoices, delivery, and inspection sheets. Confers with appropriate individuals to monitor and track costs to avoid overruns.
- Ensures a clean, safe work environment to include the removal of debris from common areas and the cleanliness of homes.
- Assist with special projects as requested and perform additional duties as required.
Minimum Education Experience
Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Construction Management preferred, with at least one year working in the Home Building industry or at least four years of related work experience and/or training; good knowledge and understanding of the home building industry within scope of building codes, regulations and construction processes.
Skills and Abilities
Must have knowledge of construction skills including carpentry; reading blueprints; use of hand and power tools and possess a both a technical and mechanical aptitude. Customer-service oriented with good verbal and written communication skills. Position is required to interact with a variety of people including customers, vendors, and employees from other departments. Must be adaptable and have the flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with ability to coordinate several activities simultaneously. Must possess decision-making and problem-solving abilities to select among alternative courses of action within budget limitations; detail-oriented for time management effectiveness. A working knowledge of Outlook and Build Pro is a plus.
Exposure to undesirable environmental conditions as well as some health and safety risks. Appropriate equipment and precautions required. Travel demands which require possession of a valid driver’s license.
M/I Homes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, paid time off and paid holidays, 401(k) profit sharing plan, employee stock purchase plan, employee home purchase plan and more.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
This position is located in Cincinnati, OH. View the Google Map in full screen.