College-level and Internships
Assists the Construction Manager in coordinating the on-site construction activities for assigned subdivisions. In addition to providing general labor for homes under construction, the Construction Intern will assist in monitoring the completion of each construction phase through performing inspections, scheduling and coordination of activities as directed by the Construction Manager.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Trains and learns through the performance of tasks and activities related to all phases of the construction process, including, but not limited to:
- Assisting in the inspection of assigned homes in different phases of construction to monitor workflow, quality and completion
- Assisting in scheduling subcontractors and monitoring completion of work as required including delivery and use of materials, supplies, tools, machinery and equipment.
- Acting as liaison between subcontractors and construction management staff by monitoring work quality and progress of subcontractors and reporting issues and problems arising from inspections.
- Performing minor repairs including paint touch-up, caulking, trim, checking appliances and minor installations prior to pre-settlement inspections.
- Provides assistance in resolving customer-service issues by suggesting to the Construction Manager appropriate measures to maintain customer satisfaction.
- Locking / Unlocking homes
- Computer work (Build Pro, Excel, Outlook and Word)
- Meet with inspectors
- Perform walk-through with homeowners
- Read Blueprints
- Ensures a clean, safe work environment to include the removal of debris from common areas and the cleanliness of homes.
- Other duties as assigned.
Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of construction skills including carpentry; reading blueprints; use of hand and power tools and possess a both a technical and mechanical aptitude.
- Customer-service oriented with good verbal and written communication skills.
- Knowledge/Familiarity with Microsoft Word/Outlook/Excel.
- Must be adaptable and have the flexibility to work effectively in a fast-paced environment with ability to coordinate several activities simultaneously.
- Self Starter / Able to work with minimal supervision.
Minimum Education Experience:
Ideal candidate is working toward a Bachelor’s or Associates degree in Construction Management; knowledge and understanding of the home building industry within scope of building codes, regulations and construction processes preferred.
- Exposure to undesirable environmental conditions as well as some health and safety risks.
- Appropriate equipment and precautions required.
- Travel demands which require possession of a valid driver’s license.
M/I Homes offers a comprehensive benefits package, including medical, dental, vision, 401(k) profit sharing plan, employee stock purchase plan, employee home purchase plan and more.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
This position is located in Houston, TX. View the Google Map in full screen.