Staff Materials and Process Engineer
Who We Are
Kymeta’s mission is to enhance lives by unlocking the potential for global satellite and cellular broadband communications while on the move. We do this through our innovative solutions, best in class technologies that meet and exceed our customers’ requirements.
Our core principles define the character and spirit of our employees and how we operate. We are committed to fostering a customer focused culture by creating a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work environment that is rooted in supporting its employees and our corporate social responsibilities.
What We Need
Kymeta is looking for a Staff Materials and Process Engineer who will lead activities and projects specifically on the materials used in our antennas. These will include primarily adhesives and structural plastics but may extend as well to metals and composites. This role will involve selecting potential antenna materials that satisfy RF performance criteria, evaluating these materials for thermomechanical and environmental compatibility both analytically and using finite element analysis, and working with our supply chain group to establish acceptance criteria and lot uniformity. In selecting and recommending materials for antenna designs, this engineer will be expected not only to source common materials but also to research the offerings from materials companies and the academic literature and in appropriate instances lead the technical development and integration of such materials into our products. The Staff M&P engineer will also investigate and implement material property–enhancing processes such as platings and coatings. Additional duties will include measuring mechanical and physical properties of candidate materials using either our internal optical microscopes, digital imaging equipment, and mechanical testers or engaging external test laboratories for additional characterization as needed. It is also anticipated that designing various materials into our products will present opportunities for patenting novel processes or publishing new results, and this engineer would be expected to do so where warranted.
The above description of duties applies primarily to the top system level, where the focus would be on adhesives such as between antenna feed stack elements or used for bonding housing elements, creep of structural plastic parts, and so forth. But familiarity with polymers at first level packaging, such as used within integrated circuit chips, would be a bonus; such skills would be put to use for our metamaterial substrates and their processing and be additionally useful for resolving component failures and assessing new materials at the board level. This particular knowledge is desirable but not essential for the candidate; the priority for this job remains the materials used at system level.
KEY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Recommend and evaluate experimentally materials that not only conform to RF performance specifications but also can function failure free in thermal excursions and humidity exposure
- Characterize materials using both internal capabilities—optical microscopy, profilometer, x-ray, MTS tester—and outside test houses as needed
- Perform finite element simulation or analytical analyses to refine decisions on materials selection and performance
- Evaluate and optimize materials-related fabrication processes
- Patent or publish key ideas arising from the above work
- Work with our supply chain organization to identify materials vendors and lead the technical management of selected suppliers
- Compile and document test results and data using our internal ticket system and standard software applications such as Microsoft Office
- Additional duties as needed
SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
- At least 13 years experience in the materials engineering field
- Expertise in mechanical behavior and degradation of plastics, adhesives and related composite materials
- Expertise in materials characterization methods such as cross sectioning, optical microscopy, and SEM
- Experience with injection molding of filled plastics (glass fillers, carbon fiber, etc.)
- Experience designing complex composite materials into top level products at high volume under constraints of low cost and high reliability
- Expertise in finite element modeling and analytical (“back of the envelope”) techniques
- Experience producing intellectual property such as patents desirable
- Working knowledge of electronics packaging and manufacturing, including surface mount, a plus
- Experience with RF electronics a plus
- B.S. in materials science and engineering, mechanical engineering, or a related field required; M.S. or Ph.D. desirable
Kymeta is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to age, ancestry, color, family or medical care leave, gender identity or expression, genetic information, marital status, medical condition, national origin, physical or mental disability, political affiliation, protected veteran status, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances.