Design Project Manager
JMT is a 100% employee-owned consulting firm providing engineering, architecture, environmental, information technology, construction management and related services to clients across the nation.
JMT Architecture in the region is currently focused on providing creative services and solutions to its clients across the Transportation/Infrastructure, K-12 Education, and Government markets. We believe that the way we work adds value to our environment. We are led by the strength of our values, and a culture shaped by employee ownership. You can learn more by visiting JMTArchitecture.com.
JMT is involved with an increasing number of large capital programs in the Philadelphia region. This opportunity is to support a major capital program with locations throughout the City. The selected candidate will be required to operate in a fast-paced, highly-dynamic environment as a direct extension of our client’s staff and leverage their prior experiences planning and delivering multi-project design programs. The successful candidate will have exceptional communication and organizational skills, be experienced with leading multi-disciplinary teams, a strong understanding of design, permitting and construction.
We are seeking an experienced Registered Architect for Design Project Manager position. This assignment offers the unique opportunity for extensive collaboration and the ability to positively impact many dozens of projects and the Philadelphia community.
The qualified candidate will have a strong blend of technical, project management and business development/operations skills and experience along with strong leadership traits and an entrepreneurial spirit. The individual should also be experienced with all phases of architectural work including programming, design, documentation, and project/construction administration. The ideal candidate will have strong Philadelphia-area client relationships in the markets described above and experience managing staff and multi-disciplinary teams and K-12 experience.
Comprehensive Design Management, including, but not limited to the following:
- Oversee work of program, and project design.
- Assign and oversee work of subconsultants, and third party design consultants.
- Assure continuous coordination and communication with client leadership;
- Coordinate with client, team, project and stakeholders to deliver program projects in adherence with schedule and budget
- Proactively identify and resolve potential program, design and construction issues and challenges
- Carefully plan, monitor and report on scope, schedule, budget, quality and risk at the individual project and overall program levels
- Project management responsibilities on multiple assignments, including close monitoring of assignment scope, schedule and financial performance;
- Leadership of multi-disciplinary project teams in development of the aesthetic and technical design and the preparation of architectural design and construction documents including drawings, specifications and other products, including quality and constructability reviews; must excel at working with staff, clients, contractors, and project teams to complete the design and production of architectural projects, and ensure that construction documents are in compliance with design intent, regulatory requirements and codes, and meet client goals;
- Lead and collaborate on successful proposals and business development activities, including participation in industry functions and events, to sustain and grow the Philadelphia-based architecture group; assist, as needed, with pursuits and proposals in other geographic areas;
- Preparation and negotiation of technical and fee proposals;
- Coordinate the successful implementation of efficient and effective design platforms (Revit, BIM 360, etc.) and graphic software applications to support operations of the group and successful business development;
- Strict adherence to JMT’s core values of safety, quality, integrity and relationships
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- Familiarity with Autodesk REVIT, AutoCAD and related tools and process
- Experienced in preparation of architectural contract documents including drawings and specifications
- Proficient with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), Microsoft Project a plus.
- Familiarity with Construction Administration / Project Management Information Systems software (Primavera Unifier, e-Builder).
- Experience with sustainable design
- Ability to work in a fast-paced environment, multi-task between projects, and work independently
- Exceptional communication, organization and time management skills.
- Exceptional written and oral communication skills; excellent analytical, problem-solving and time-management skills;
- Knowledge of building materials, specifications, construction techniques with the ability to research and resolve technical issues
- Knowledge of local building codes and regulatory agencies and approval processes (Art Commission, Historical Commission, Zoning, City of Philadelphia codes, etc.)
- An attitude and commitment towards personal growth and team success
- Must have a valid driver’s license
- Some travel to job and construction sites required
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Architecture is required.
- Minimum of 10 years of architectural design experience preferably in education, and community markets. Program Management experience is a plus.
- Registered Architect License in Pennsylvania Required.
- LEED accreditation preferred.
Working Conditions and Location
- Successful candidate will report to client site.
- Occasional travel to project sites, client and other JMT office locations is expected and might include rare weekend or evening activities.
- Work is performed within a general office environment 95% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
- Field work is required on rare occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.
This position is located at 1600 Market Street, Suite 520, Philadelphia, PA. View the Google Map in full screen.