Ecological Restoration Project Engineer
Water Resource Engineering
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position summary: Responsible for assisting in the delivery of all project objectives for assigned projects including; scope, schedule and budget. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
JMT is seeking skilled professionals with experience in Ecological Restoration including the design of streams, wetlands and other natural habitats / ecosystems and related services. Emphasis is on Mid-Atlantic projects with ability and desire to also work on projects across JMT’s entire footprint. The ideal candidate would have previous experience with key regional clients as well as other local, state, and Federal clients. The ability and desire to grow and manage technical work and staff, nurture and create new client relationships, collaborate with other technical experts in our core natural and water resource business units, and assist with marketing of environmental services throughout JMT is highly desirable.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Stream / Wetland assessment and design experience
- Wetland and Forest Stand Delineation experience
- Hydrologic Modeling experience using TR55 / TR20 and Rational Methodologies
- Hydraulic Modeling experience using HEC-RAS
- AutoCAD Civil 3D and/or MicroStation drafting experience
- GIS experience using ArcMap
- Stream Survey and Assessment experience including operating laser level survey equipment and sediment sampling procedures
- Joint Permit coordination and Application preparation experience
- Construction Management / Oversight experience
- Ability to travel
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 4-10 years of experience designing ecological restoration / mitigation projects
- Bachelor’s degree in civil engineering, environmental engineering, environmental science or a related field
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- MicroStation and/or AutoCAD drafting experience
- GIS experience
- Experience working with local clients at the county and state level
- Experience with multiple project delivery methods i.e. Design-Bid-Build, Design-Build, P3
- Professional Engineer, Professional Wetland Scientist or Professional Geologist with an advanced degree and/or certification
- MD DNR Qualified Professional
- MDE ESC Certification (Green Card)
- Experience working in Pennsylvania, Maryland, New Jersey, Delaware, and Virginia
- Strong relationships with the Regulatory community
- 2-D Modeling experience
- Stormwater Management design experience
- Erosion and Sediment Control design experience
Work is performed within a general office environment 90% of the time. Work is generally sedentary in nature, but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
Field work is required on occasion where work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions. Some lifting (up to 25 lbs) may be required as needed.
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Client Focus
- Job Proficiency
- Quality Service
If Managing Others
- Managing Performance
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.
This position is located at 40 Wight Ave., Hunt Valley, MD. View the Google Map in full screen.