Subsurface Utility Engineering Party Chief
Surveying / Subsurface Utility Engineering
Johnson, Mirmiran & Thompson is a dynamic, 100% employee-owned consulting firm of more than 2,000 professionals that provides a full range of multi-disciplined engineering, architecture, information technology, and related services to public agencies and private clients throughout the United States. JMT, is currently ranked #59 on Engineering News-Record’s list of the Top 500 Design Firms.
Position Summary: JMT is currently looking for Party Chiefs to join the Underground Utilities, Land Surveying, and Mapping team in Pittsburgh. Sponsorship is not available for this position.
Essential Functions and Responsibilities
- Supervise & lead a team of SUE technicians
- Assigns and monitors work, and provides input for evaluation of members of field SUE staff
- Conduct field investigations
- Operate equipment to locate & mark subsurface utilities
- Label topographic features from field codes
- Perform calculations
- Complete daily reports and field note sketches
- Instruct and train SUE staff in methods, use of equipment, and field safety procedures
- Participate in project meetings with Project Managers, Engineers, sub-consultants, and utility representatives
- Operate vacuum excavation truck to expose underground utilities
- Interpret roadway and utility plans, and utility record drawings
- Travel required
Nonessential Functions and Responsibilities
- Perform other related duties as assigned
- 10+ years’ experience performing utility designation
- Valid Driver’s License with good driving record
- Able to pass Security Background Checks
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Able to work 7:00 am – 4:00 pm Monday – Friday (Minimum)
- Travel required
- Able to work outdoors in all weather conditions.
- Able to bend, kneel, lift, and carry up to 50lbs as needed
- Team Attitude / Mindset
- Experience using Ground Penetrating Radar is preferred but not necessary
- Surveying experience preferred but not necessary
Work is performed in the field 95% of the time. Ability to extensively perform bending, kneeling, standing, shoveling, and lifting and carrying objects weighing up to 50+ lbs. as needed. Work may be conducted outside in heat/cold, wet/humid, and dry/arid conditions.
Work is performed within a general office environment 5% of the time. Office work is generally sedentary in nature but may require occasional standing and walking. Lighting and temperature are adequate and there are no hazardous or unpleasant conditions caused by noise, dust, etc. within the office environment.
- Paid Leave Time
- Paid Holidays
- Paid Travel Expenses
- Paid Overtime (1.5 hourly rate)
- Affordable & Widely Accepted Health, Dental & Vision Insurance
- Excellent 401 K Retirement Plans
- Education Reimbursement Program
- Employee-Owned Stock
- Analytical Thinking/Problem Solving
- Building Relationships & Teamwork
- Decision Making
- Quality Service
If Manages Others
- Managing performance
JMT is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/Disability/Vet/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity, and we are proud to be building an inclusive and diverse workforce.
This position is located at Marquis Corporate Center Two, 5313 Campbells Run Road, Suite 100, Pittsburgh, PA. View the Google Map in full screen.