Assistant Fertilizer Market Analyst-Senegal
Current Job Openings --> Full Time --> Full Time Africa
Type of contract: Regular Staff
Duration: 1yr, Renewable
Start date: August/Sept 2022
Location: Senegal, Dakar
Number of Positions: 1
AfricaFertilizer.org is an initiative led by IFDC, with support from partners such as DG, IFA, Argus, AFAP, FAO and IFPRI, aiming at collecting and disseminating fertilizer data, statistics, and information from Sub-Saharan Africa
Since 2010, AfricaFertilizer.org (AFO) objective is to provide timely and transparent information on fertilizers to the public and private sector. AFO has evolved from aggregating and disseminating existing market information on fertilizers to expanding the types of information available and also providing support to partners, programs and activities that increase the availability and quality of this information. The initiative encourages and coordinates partnerships and data-sharing mechanisms that provide information on fertilizer statistics and fertilizer market intelligence.
AFO has been working with Development Gateway, DG, under the VIFAA program (Visualizing Insights on Fertilizer for African Agriculture) to simplify and visualize fertilizer data to end-users through an interactive dashboard. The next expansion phase will run till 2024.
In this regard, AFO seeks to engage a Fertilizer market analyst for Senegal, who will serve as the key contact point for AFO activities covering market data and information compilation, reporting and partnership management.
The main tasks of the Fertilizer market analyst are to assist the AFO Project manager and in collaboration with the AFO team, to implement partly/wholly key activities such as:
- Primary Data synthesis:
- Fertilizer statistics on trade (import and export figures), and consumption data production capacities in Senegal
- Monitoring and reporting on national and regional fertilizer policy environments including national fertilizer laws; national subsidy programs; fertilizer quality regulations; and private sector participation.
- Collect, analyze, and disseminate relevant fertilizer market information on public and private tenders, policies, and regulations etc. within Senegal
- Collection and reporting on fertilizer retail prices and market comments monthly for one of AFO’s monthly publication (FertiNews) including trade corridor product movement from Beira into Senegal.
- Developing fertilizer cost chain build ups and process maps for Senegal’s main trade corridors
- Monitoring and analyzing Senegal fertilizer market dynamics including key players; national distribution channels and hubs; product availability; and national pricing mechanisms
- Monitoring, analyzing, and reporting on trends in international fertilizer production; procurement; trade; and consumption (by product and key crops) and how it affects the fertilizer market in Senegal.
- Organizing and facilitation of the Senegal Fertilizer technical working group, (FTWG) statistics validation workshop within by latest September 2022 (Report from one of the FTWG’s for reference)
- Provision of primary data to feed into the Africa Fertilizer Watch monthly.
- Building and strengthening/ managing partnerships with regional and national institutions, key industry partners, and stakeholders
- Identify possible fund-raising avenues for AFO when they do occur and communicating this to the Program team through the Program Lead and business development team
- All the above activities will result in the Senegal fertilizer dashboard. (Links to other country dashboards for reference herein Kenya, Ghana and Nigeria) Launch of the Senegal dashboard targeted for October +/-
The Fertilizer Market Analyst Consultant will report to the AFO Program Lead or his designee.
Place of work
The Assistant Fertilizer Market Analyst will be based in Dakar, Senegal, but should be available to travel within the country and in Africa when called upon to.
This position is funded for the contracting period by BMGF-DG/IFA/BFS
- Bachelors’ degree in agriculture, agribusiness, economics, or any relevant fields. Masters is an added advantage.
- Relevant work experience of 3+ years in data management, analysis specific to fertilizer and the Senegal Fertilizer market is mandatory.
- Good networks and working relationship with the main private fertilizer companies, relevant Ministry officials (Agriculture/statistics etc.) port officials, custom officials, bureau of statistics etc. within Senegal required.
- Good knowledge of Fertilizer market nuances in Senegal and by extension Francophone West Africa fertilizer industry is mandatory.
- Excellent writing, reporting and oral communication skills with good English and French language proficiency.
- Must possess deductive reasoning skills and be able to analyze and synthesize information for problem solving.