Do you want to work with a growing team that values professional and personal growth while also receiving fantastic perks and benefits? We are seeking a Payroll Supervisor with strong leadership skills, attention to detail and a passion for providing quality healthcare to our members.
What You Will Be Doing:
As the payroll supervisor, you will be responsible for the day-to-day management and supervision of payroll production, ensuring timely and accurate delivery of payroll and related services, in a manner that maintains confidentiality, and compliance with internal requirements and state and federal laws and regulations.
- Plans and assigns work; monitors department workload to ensure service level and other standards are met; makes timely and effective adjustments.
- Supervises the processing of payroll transactions including but not limited to salaries, benefits, garnishments, taxes and other deductions.
- Ensures accurate and timely processing of payroll updates, including but not limited to new hire, terminations and changes to pay rates and withholdings.
- Prepares or oversees the preparation of payroll journal entries for review and approval.
- Reviews or oversees the review of timecards for accuracy, including ensuring correct documentation and resolution of discrepancies.
- Responds to and resolves or facilitates the resolution of complex issues in a timely and efficient manner.
- Monitors and analyzes standard metrics; takes timely and effective action based on findings.
- Develops, implements and maintains an audit program covering all aspects of payroll processing, and based on best practices.
- Prepares for and participates in internal and external audits; compiles audit packets, provides information, develops and monitors timely and effective corrective action plans.
- Compiles, develops and submits, and oversees the compilation, development and submission of accurate and timely internal and external reports.
- Develops, implements and maintains, or oversees the development, implementation and maintenance of accurate, appropriate and required records.
- Assists in the development, implementation and maintenance of department policies and procedures; makes recommendations for revisions; communicates changes to appropriate individuals in a timely and effective manner.
- Identifies the need for and oversees department implementation of department-related technology.
- Engages in continuous improvement activities in collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
- Promotes and maintains and ensures that direct reports promote and maintain an environment that supports HPSJ’s strategy, vision, mission and values.
- Hires, develops, supervises and retains an adequate and competent staff.
What You Bring:
Knowledge, Skills, Abilities
- In-depth knowledge of federal and state income tax laws and regulations.
- In-depth knowledge of accounting principles and practices.
- In-depth knowledge of and ability to apply payroll best practices.
- Expert knowledge of payroll and timekeeping systems, their capabilities and interfaces.
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to initiate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with diverse individuals at all levels, both inside and outside of HPSJ.
- Demonstrated ability to articulate and support HPSJ’s vision, mission, values and strategy, integrate into management practices, and foster their manifestation among staff.
- Strong supervisory and management skills, with the ability to supervise staff in a manner that maximizes employee performance and business results.
- Intermediate Excel skills, with ability to produce charts, graphs and pivot tables.
- Intermediate skills in MS Office software.
- Ability to speak and be understood in English.
- Ability to treat confidential information with appropriate discretion.
- Communicates effectively: Develops and delivers multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
- Values differences: Recognizes the value that different perspectives and cultures bring to HPSJ.
- Instills trust: Gains the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity and authenticity.
- Situational adaptability: Adapts approach and demeanor in real time to match the shifting demands of different situations.
- Ensures accountability: Holds self and others accountable to meet commitments.
- Drives engagement: Creates a climate where people are motivated t do their best to help HPSJ achieve its objectives.
- Drives results: Consistently achieves results, even under tough circumstances.
- Resourcefulness: Secures and deploys resources effectively and efficiently; organizes people and resources to solve problems and identify opportunities.
- Decision quality: Makes good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
- Customer focus: Builds strong customer relationships and delivers customer-centric solutions.
- Directs work: Provides direction, delegates and removes obstacles to get work done.
- Collaborates: Builds partnerships and works collaboratively to meet shared objectives.
- Optimizes work processes: Knows the most effective and efficient processes to get things done, with a focus on continuous improvement.
- Knowledge and understanding of union payroll rules and regulations.
- Knowledge and understanding of healthcare accounting practices.
- Knowledge and understanding of public entity payroll practices.
- Knowledge of the principles and practices of managed care.
Education and Experience
- Associate degree in related field; and
- At least five years full cycle payroll experience including time and attendance; and
- At least two years of supervisory experience; or
- Equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Bachelor’s degree in related field.
- Payroll software implementation experience.
- Experience processing payroll in a union and/or public sector environment.
- Certified Payroll Professional (CPP)
What You Will Get:
- HPSJ Perks:
- Competitive salary
- Robust and affordable health/dental/vision (90% paid medical for employees and 100% paid dental/vision for employees) with choices in providers
- Generous paid time off (starting at 3 weeks of PTO, 4 paid floating holidays including employee’s birthday, and 9 paid holidays)
- CalPERS retirement pension program, automatic employer-paid retirements contributions, in addition to voluntary defined contribution plan
- Two flexible spending accounts (FSAs)
- Employer-Paid Term Life and AD&D Insurance
- Employer-Paid Disability Insurance
- Employer-Paid Life Assistance Program
- Health Advocacy
- Supplemental medical, legal, identity theft protection
- Access to exclusive discount mall
- Education and training reimbursement in addition to employer-paid elective learning courses.
- A chance to work for an organization that is mission-driven – our members and community are at the core of everything we do.
- A shorter commute – if you’re commuting from the Central Valley to the Bay Area.
- Visibility and variety – you have a chance to work with people at all levels of the organization, and work on diverse projects.
- Continuously improve the health of our community.
- We provide healthcare value and advance wellness through community partnerships.