Sr Mechanical Project Engineer
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Sr Project Mechanical Engineer with experience with Science & Technology projects to join our team in Houston. As a Sr Project Mechanical Engineer, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of large building projects, including managing and mentoring the team of engineers in a particular discipline on the project, developing concepts and budgets, and producing the design.
HOK’s culture is rooted in design and technical excellence. This is where great engineering lives. For over 50 years, we have delivered exceptional design with our architectural partners at HOK and other outstanding practices. We enjoy the challenge of engineering complex projects and succeed by finding creative, integrated solutions to unprecedented design criteria. We have a collaborative, interdisciplinary engineering group that works closely across our regional studios.
You can learn more about HOK’s Engineering practice here: https://www.hok.com/presentation/hok-engineering/.
Application must include resume and cover letter.
- Looks for ways to improve Mechanical Engineering design and design processes.
- Looks for new trends in Mechanical Engineering design and how to apply them to our projects.
- Able to guide the development of Revit tools to improve productivity.
Project Management and Technical Improvement
- 10% time devoted to Project Management and Technical Improvement initiatives.
- Project Management shall include project manpower estimates, project communications, budget monitoring and inputs, organizing deliverables, and setting project standards for delivery.
- Development of specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
- Keeping abreast of industry and technology changes and trends, and recommending changes in approach and services as appropriate.
- Improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- 90% time devoted to the engineering of projects, particularly large or complex projects.
- Responsibility for the project engineering of large projects from concept and schematic design through construction documents to construction and commissioning.
- Provide design input and review of other engineer’s projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Project review at all stages of design.
- Responsible for the quality and timely delivery of the projects to budget.
- Mentoring of engineering staff on projects.
- As needed, provide support to Business Development, including write-up of key aspects of projects and presentation of work at industry events, and prepare fee estimates and assumptions for Mechanical Engineering on potential projects.
Performance measured on project results
- Efficiency and profitability of the Engineering Discipline in that office or region and its contributions to firm-wide success.
- Quality of design solutions, as measured by level of integration, unique solutions, achieving high sustainability goals, and recognition by peers as excellence.
- The quality of work produced, as measured by completeness of design, absence of change orders and client satisfaction.
- Cohesiveness of the discipline team, as evidenced by ease and amount of work share, consistency of quality and delivery tools and standards, including drawings and specifications, and team communication.
- Client repeat business.
- Contributions to bringing in new work.
- Ability to engineer and deliver projects over $100m.
- Ability to collaborate with multiple practices across HOK’s organization.
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols.
- Must be able to inspire owners and designers.
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets.
- Project team leadership skills.
- Strong project management skills.
- Strong multi-disciplinary project team leadership.
- Ability to understand multi-disciplinary coordination issues.
- Ability to teach and mentor others.
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
- Expert in current sustainable technologies applicable to mechanical engineering.
- Proficient with Revit.
- Natural ventilation design experience is a plus.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree is a plus.
- Licensed PE.
- NCEES record allowing registration in any state.
- LEED accreditation preferred or Green Associate.
- Experience with science & technology projects.
- Expert at all aspects of Mechanical Engineering, including a track record of recent successful major projects over $100m, and one major project over $250m.
- 10 years project engineering experience, from concept to opening, with completed high profile projects included in the mix.
- Cover letter including: why you want to work at HOK, an overview of your professional background and what makes you uniquely qualified for the job.
- Experience in leading or working in integrated teams.
- Experience in design and delivery of LEED Gold and Platinum projects.
- Experience with architecturally significant buildings.
- Engineering design and analysis of mechanical air and piping systems for large complex buildings.
- Experience with large central plants and a variety of chiller and boiler types and configurations.
- Experience with DDC controls.
- Experience with complex analysis tools and energy modeling for mechanical design.
- Experience in calculating, sizing, and specifying complex mechanical systems and mechanical equipment including AHUs, pumps, chillers, cooling towers and fans.
- Experience with heat gain calculations for spaces and detailed engineering of mechanical systems for a variety of uses.
- Experience with energy modeling for LEED credits and code compliance.
- Experience with engineering of chilled beam systems, radiant systems, micro-climates, and under floor air systems.
- Experience with specification editing for project specific requirements.
- Experience with construction administration and commissioning phases, particularly problem analysis and solutions, on both large and small jobs.
- Experience with Thermal Comfort Modeling is a plus.
HOK is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits plan to meet their current and future needs. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(K) savings plans; disability, life and accident insurance; paid time off (PTO); and parental leave. In addition, HOK employees enjoy a flexible work schedule with the option to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.