HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
HOK's Atlanta office is currently seeking a Structural Project Engineer to join our team. As a Structural Project Engineer, you will be responsible for the successful delivery of small to medium size building projects as well as working as part of a large team responsible for an area on major projects, including developing concepts and producing the design.
- Looks for ways to improve engineering design and design processes in a particular discipline.
- Looks for new trends in Engineering design in a particular discipline and how to apply them to our projects.
Project Management and Technical Improvement
- 10% time devoted to project management tasks and technical improvement initiatives.
- Project management tasks shall include project manpower estimates, project communications, budget monitoring and inputs, organizing deliverables, setting project standards for delivery.
- Development of typical details, specifications, and drawing standards, including development of Revit standards in coordination with the BIM team.
- Keeping abreast of industry and technology changes and trends, and recommend changes in approach and services as appropriate.
- Improvement of analytic processes and documentation, common solutions, and critical solutions.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- 90% time devoted to the engineering of projects.
- Responsibility for the project engineering of small to medium sized projects (less than $80m in construction cost) from concept and schematic design through construction documents to construction and commissioning.
- Responsibility for the project engineering of segments of large (over $100m) projects, supporting a Senior Project Engineer.
- Provide design inputs and reviews of other engineer’s projects.
- Attend meetings with clients and promote positive client contact with current or prospective clients.
- Participate as a team member, contributing ideas and possible solutions, and leading on issues where appropriate.
- Perform site visit surveys to determine engineering strategies for renovation, and to document and evaluate existing systems.
- Visit project sites during construction for reviews of quality, progress, and compliance with specifications and standards.
- Project reviews at all stages of design
- Responsibility for the quality and timely delivery of the projects to budget.
- Seeks input from more senior staff on technical matters to improve the overall project.
- As needed, provide support to business development, including write-up of key aspects of projects and presentation of work at industry events, and prepare fee estimates and assumptions for a particular discipline on potential projects.
- Work with architects on concepts for project competitions.
Performance measured on project results
- Efficiency and profitability of the Engineering Discipline in that office or region and its contributions to firm-wide success.
- Quality of design solutions, as measured by level of integration, unique solutions, achieving high sustainability goals, and recognition by peers as excellence.
- The quality of work produced, as measured by completeness of design, absence of change orders and client satisfaction.
- Cohesiveness of the discipline team, as evidenced by ease and amount of work share, consistency of quality and delivery tools and standards, including drawings and specifications, and team communication.
- Client repeat business.
- Contributions to bringing in new work.
- Ability to engineer and deliver projects between $20m to $80m in size.
- Must be able to communicate clearly both verbally and in written form, with an understanding of industry communication protocols.
- Set, monitor and deliver to budgets.
- Strong project management skills for the particular discipline.
- Ability to understand multi-disciplinary coordination issues.
- Ability to mentor junior engineers and technicians.
- Able to work creatively to reach solutions to complex problems.
- Proficiency with Revit and AutoCAD
- Design of structural systems for small complex buildings.
- Bachelor of Science in engineering degree, Master’s degree preferred
- Licensed SE in states with SE license, PE or CE / PE in other states.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
- Experience in delivering projects over $20m and up to $80m in construction value.
- 5 years project engineering experience, from design development to opening, with one completed high profile project included in the mix.
- Experience in working in integrated teams.
- Experience in design and delivery of LEED Silver or higher projects.
- Experience with architecturally significant buildings is a plus.
- Experience with potential project types in commercial, corporate, institutional and civic, justice, aviation, and healthcare sectors is a plus.
- Experience with complex analysis tools for Structural design.
HOK is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits plan to meet their current and future needs. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(K) savings plans; disability, life and accident insurance; paid time off (PTO); and parental leave. In addition, HOK employees enjoy a flexible work schedule with the option to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.