Project Architect - Aviation
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Project Architect with experience working on Aviation projects, including terminals and concourses, to join our team in Texas (Dallas, Houston, or Austin). Be a part of a fun, friendly, and dynamic team as we continue our success in the Texas market!
As a Project Architect, you, in partnership with the Project Manager and Project Designer, are accountable for project financial performance and team communication. You are also responsible for the issuance and content of deliverables, technical content of HOK documents and coordination of disciplines including consultants and for the supervision of all staff producing documents. You will also have primary responsibility for the implementation of Construction Phase Services in collaboration with the Project Manager and be responsible for securing QA reviews and the implementation of comments. You must be a licensed architect as you will have to sign/seal drawings.
Application must include resume, portfolio and cover letter.
- Responsible for ensuring the overall design intent of the project established by the Project Designer is incorporated into the detailed documentation.
- Monitors the design process from conceptual phase through construction administration, ensuring the design idea is consistent and properly executed.
- Responsible for technical resolution and coordination for a defined portion of a project.
- Works with Specification Writer to develop specifications and is responsible for coordination of drawings and specifications.
- Checks completed reports, plans, estimates and calculations for accuracy.
- Sets the overall strategy for producing the documents and identifies the sheets planned for each stage of the work. This includes defining how data will be organized into files and which elements will be incorporated in a Building Information Model (BIM).
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- Fosters and maintains a collaborative professional working relationship with the Project Leadership Team.
- Responsible for communication with other disciplines, vendors, and contractors to ensure incorporation of all information into project requirements and provides support as necessary.
- Ensures that construction detail documentation conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Supervises preparation of technical drawings by other less senior level architects or technicians.
- Performs as team leader on certain projects.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, participates in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Works on developing a positive relationship of trust with client Leadership.
- Regularly communicates with client representative to verify design requirements and specifications, progress reviews and delivery of final presentation.
- Receives project direction from the Principal in Charge and Technical direction from the RBU Technical Principal.
- Coordinates use and tracks shared electronic documentation and files with project team, clients and consultants.
- Assists in planning and conducting work making minor adaptations and modifications to complete working drawing set(s).
- Meets with municipal building department and other governing agency officials to coordinate approvals or variances.
- Writes reports and memos to consultants and vendors to issue changes and track resolutions.
- Provides technical support and project communications to team as required.
- Attends on-site visits, field reviews and project meetings. Prepares and coordinates the review of contractor’s schedules, submission of shop drawings and samples.
- Assists the Specification Writer in product research, consulting with manufacturers, evaluating and selecting project related materials.
- Involved with specification set-up and drawing coordination, research and appropriate use of HOK Standards.
- Provides support to all team members for specific market, discipline, or other areas of expertise.
- Participates in team meetings to help resolve project issues, coordination with other disciplines, schedule adherence, technical issues.
- Participates in review of project costs and budgets, adherence to schedule.
- Prepares meeting minutes of consultant coordination meetings.
- May prepare 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and builds models for client/project team review.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- May participate in business development meetings with team leaders to target specified project, client or market opportunities.
- Advanced knowledge of design, trends, construction methodology, material application, and manufacturer-supplier appropriateness.
- Advanced knowledge of architectural building systems.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Advanced knowledge of QA/QC process.
- Advanced knowledge of building codes and ability to research and apply/incorporate into technical documents.
- Advanced knowledge of Construction Administration Process.
- Proficiency in Revit required.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office suite.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling software such as Sketchup, Rhino and Grasshopper preferred.
- Proficiency in Affinity software suite preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work in team environment.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to lead teams and work effectively with other project leaders.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- Portfolio documenting professional design and/or academic design work. Must include notes indicating your contributions for each project and your specific role.
- Cover letter including: why you want to work at HOK, an overview of your professional background and what makes you uniquely qualified for the job.
- Terminal and concourse design and management experience required (HUB airport experience preferred).
- At least 10 years’ experience in architecture.
- Licensed Architect with current registration in your region required.
- NCARB registration preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
- Travel may be required.
- Overtime may be required.
- The job duties and requirements that this document describes may be altered or supplemented at any time at the sole discretion of HOK.
HOK is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits plan to meet their current and future needs. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(K) savings plans; disability, life and accident insurance; paid time off (PTO); and parental leave. In addition, HOK employees enjoy a flexible work schedule with the option to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
- 3200 Southwest Freeway, Suite 900, Houston, Texas
- 1023 Springdale Road, Suite 7B, Austin, Texas