Architectural Project Designer
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
HOK is currently seeking a Project Designer to join our team. As a Project Designer, in partnership with the Project Manager and Project Architect, are accountable for project financial performance and team communication. Responsible for the development of conceptual design of all phases of one or more projects. As a member of the project team, establishes design direction, assists and coordinates with the construction document preparation to support design intent, prepares for design presentations and coordinates with agencies affecting design.
- Originates and develops creative design concepts and the design documents during the design development phase.
- Supports the resolution of design solutions during the construction documents and construction administration phases. May assist with the completion of construction documents.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- Develops solutions to design problems.
- Oversees design team or less experienced designers to ensure design intent.
- Oversees design team to ensure project is on schedule and within budget.
- Oversees design team in ensuring that documentation for all phases conforms to quality assurance, quality control and best practice standards.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, may participate in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Regularly communicates with client representatives to verify design requirements and specifications, progress reviews and design delivery.
- Prepare client presentations and presents design concepts and drawings.
- Supports the marketing and business development activities of the office when needed.
- Provides technical support and project communications to team as required.
- Attends on-site visits and client meetings to verify design requirements and delivers design progress reviews.
- Provide support to all team members for specific market, discipline, or areas of design expertise.
- Assists Project Manager with defining project work plans.
- Participates in team meetings to ensure the design intent is consistently in adherence.
- Performs as Team Leader on certain projects.
- Leads a small team of less senior designer or technicians in developing solutions to technical and design detail problems following established standards.
- Participates in project reviews regarding project costs, budgets and adherence to schedule.
- Responsible for tracking electronic project data and files.
- Facilitates team internal and external project communications.
- Advanced knowledge about sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Thorough knowledge of buildingSMART, Building Information Modeling (BIM) and Integrated Project Delivery (IDP).
- Ability to work in team environment and supervise others.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing.
- Proficiency in the basic technical skills of architecture including the following computer skills:
- Proficiency in Rhino and Grasshopper is required
- Enscape, 3D Max, Revit and BIM is preferred
- Knowledge of Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software required
- Knowledge of Affinity Suite is preferred
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture or equivalent in education or experience required. Master’s degree preferred.
- 5 plus years design experience preferred
- Licensed Architect with current registration in your region preferred, if licensure is offered in your region.
- NCARB registration preferred.
- LEED credential required within 6 months of employment.
HOK is committed to providing our employees with a comprehensive benefits plan to meet their current and future needs. Benefits include medical, dental and vision coverage; 401(K) savings plans; disability, life and accident insurance; paid time off (PTO); and parental leave. In addition, HOK employees enjoy a flexible work schedule with the option to work remotely on Mondays and Fridays.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.