Senior Lab Planner
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
HOK is seeking a Senior Lab Planner to lead the laboratory project planning effort toward the successful completion of complex technology facilities; provide overall programming, master planning, lab design planning; communicate with clients/user groups to understand project requirements; and represent the firm nationally as a technical expert. This position can be in any US city in which we have an HOK office located (please indicate which office(s) you are interested in when applying).
- Develops advanced technical knowledge in the laboratory planning and programming of various-sized pharmaceutical, academic research, biotech, and emerging science and engineering building typologies
- Leads the planning, including supervision of planning teams, for laboratory facilities in all phases of development including: programming, design, fit-out planning, equipment planning, MEP systems integration planning casework specification and construction administration
- Develops a comprehensive understanding of clients’ science and engineering program requirements and standards and policies for completion.
- Leads in the design development, modification and/or review of laboratory planning concepts and solutions.
- Leads in developing project scope, plan, and services and during the contract process. Translates planning concepts into comprehensible terms for clients, designers and project team members.
- Develops and oversees architectural drawings and specifications to communicate planning concepts for project documentation and construction.
- Oversees and supervises the development of architectural documents, elevations, sections, details, etc.
- Anticipates and develops solutions to technical and design problems following established standards.
- Oversees the construction administration of the laboratory spaces and associated systems.
- Applies proper QA/QC methods throughout project. Will lead this effort.
- Develops and maintains excellent relationships with existing and potential clients. Participates in selected marketing and business development opportunities.
- Actively seeks new knowledge in the design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Oversees the development of standard materials that describe the portfolio, systems, processes and people of the HOK Science + Technology Group.
- Incorporates Integrated Sustainable Design solutions into projects.
- Mentors and directs the work of less experienced staff, may participate in professional development reviews and “Lessons Learned” sessions.
- Assures HOK document standards are met and archives documents appropriately.
- Actively participates in industry associations to ensure visibility.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Fosters a commitment to external and internal client service.
- Leads the client (heads of departments, specialists, etc.) in programming sessions defining the facility needs (SOP and regulatory requirements).
- Leads periodic project meetings and presentations; ensures client is adequately briefed on project progress.
- Provides guidance to project managers, architects, and project engineers to establish overall project budgets and milestone schedules.
- Communicates planning concepts to project teams, both verbally and through graphic and written reports.
- Assists Science + Technology business unit leadership to develop yearly strategic business plans and budget; focusing on appropriate market sectors and strategies for winning and doing work successfully.
- Participates actively in the firm-wide Science + Technology practice within HOK.
- Sets up project team software parameters and manages standards.
- May oversee preparation of 2D and 3D presentation/design drawings and builds models for client/project team review.
- Travel may be required.
- Overtime may be required.
- The job duties and requirements that this document describes may be altered or supplemented at any time at the sole discretion of HOK.
- Demonstrated creativity, passion and interest in design and planning of laboratories within technical facilities.
- Advanced knowledge of technical and regulatory requirements for laboratory design.
- Advanced knowledge of laboratory programming delivery and how design impacts those systems – including space, operational, and equipment programming, as well as MEP systems and casework.
- Advanced knowledge of laboratory planning, design, construction documents, construction administration and project construction cost control for lab facilities.
- Advanced knowledge of sustainability, integrated design and LEED guidelines.
- Possess strong hand and advanced CAD drafting skills.
- Proficiency in AutoCAD/Architectural Desktop preferred.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in 3D Modeling software such as 3D Studio Max and Viz 2006 preferred.
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, Sketchup, and InDesign graphic software preferred.
- Proficiency in Revit or other BIM platform preferred.
- Proficiency in NewForma preferred.
- Ability to communicate both verbally and in writing; ability to convey laboratory planning needs to designers and other team members.
- Ability to work in team environment and supervise others.
- Ability to effectively meet deadlines.
- Bachelor’s degree in architecture required with laboratory design as certificate or main area focus of study. Master’s degree preferred.
- 10 years’ experience focused on programming and planning of all phases of a variety of laboratory types such as: vivarium, bio-containment, research, teaching (science), pharmaceutical, public health, clinical, process and manufacturing facilities, with 5 years of team leadership experience required.
- Architecture license preferred.
- LEED accreditation or Green Associate preferred.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.