Project Accounting Manager
HOK designs buildings and spaces that respond to the needs of people and the environment. Our designers are rooted in technical excellence, driven by imagination and focused on a solitary goal: to deliver solutions that inspire clients and communities.
We are currently seeking a Project Accounting Manager to join our team. As a Project Accounting Manager, you will be responsible for managing project accounting staff as well as the accurate and timely project accounting of the department.
- Oversees the project accounting function of the department.
- Develops procedures and supervises project accounting team.
- Provides guidance and training in the proper procedures of project accounting.
- Reviews and approves consultant bills for payment.
- Provides internal audit of fee recognition on projects.
- Audits select projects for financial performance.
- Answers inquiries from staff and vendors.
- Acts as Sr. Project Accountant as needed:
- Prepares monthly invoices, budgets and project management reports.
- Provides accurate and timely accounting, reporting and project information for assigned projects.
- Sets up and maintains projects on an in-house accounting system according to contract terms.
- Tracks and inputs budget data for assigned projects.
- Prepares, codes and inputs project invoices.
- Answers inquiries from staff, vendors or clients, and communicates financial information to project managers.
- Maintains accounting files.
- Makes calls to clients to follow up on accounts receivable.
- Inputs and posts consultant invoices, communicates with consultants and organizes their payments.
- Reviews project contracts and additional service requests to understand the financial requirements on each project.
- Analyzes project cost reports and meets frequently with the Business Manager and Project Managers to review status of projects for invoicing, profitability, earnings, costs, and cash flow.
- Understands how projects earn revenue in the accounting system and assists the Business Manager monthly in analyzing and recording monthly project earnings.
- Works independently to research and resolve financial issues.
- Assists Director of Finance with special projects, analysis and reporting as requested
- Assists Director of Finance with annual business plan
- Leads monthly financial project reviews with project managers
- Meets with office leadership and market sector leaders to update project opportunities for fee forecast
- Reviews fee forecast on a regular basis to ensure accuracy
- Coordinates month end earnings for business units with project accountants
- Acts as mentor by coaching and motivating teams and individuals; fostering an environment of mutual respect and trust among members of the group as it grows and develops.
- Prepares and delivers staff evaluations; contributes to performance development, compensation decision-making and allocation processes of department.
- Supports diversity, HOKU programs and develops continuing education opportunities.
- Participates in interviews and recruiting of professional staff.
- May educate and/or guide non-financial staff on accounting procedures.
- Takes personal responsibility for fostering a green workplace through sustainable work practices.
- Knowledge of accounting and finance principles and practices, and the analysis and reporting of financial-related reports.
- Advanced knowledge of project accounting concepts and practices.
- Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel and Outlook.
- Proficiency in Deltek Vision or similar project accounting software required.
- Ability to communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to work independently and within a team environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and 5 plus years accounting experience; or an equivalent of education and experience required.
- Supervisory experience required.
- Accounting experience in an architectural firm and/or project accounting experience preferred.
HOK is a drug-free workplace. HOK is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, age, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity, status as a protected veteran or status as a qualified individual with a disability, or any other characteristic protected by applicable Federal, State or Local law.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.