Community Health Worker/Facilitator
Community & Prevention
Community Health Worker- Youth Specialist
The Community Health Worker (CHW) is responsible for assisting with the planning and implementing of the Personal Responsibility Education Program (PREP) whose focus is promoting sexual health and healthy relationships, responsible decision-making, and increased opportunities for high-risk youth. The CHW provides education to youth in the priority populations using evidence-based curricula and promising practice. The CHW will work with the PREP Coordinator, and the Massachusetts Department of Public Health (DPH) to evaluate outcomes and measure success.
The Community Health Worker will also support coalition activities and coordinate the youth advisory board for the Stop Access Coalition. The Stop Access Coalition is a city-wide coalition that works to reduce and prevent underage drinking, marijuana use, and use of tobacco products including electronic smoking devices. The CHW is responsible for the overall recruitment and coordination of the youth advisory board. The CHW will support coalition activities and participate in community engagement.
The Gándara Center provides residential, mental health, substance abuse, and preventive services for children, adults, and families across the Pioneer Valley and eastern parts of Massachusetts. Founded in the Hispanic community, we value cultural diversity and strive to provide culturally competent, innovative services to a diverse community. The Mission of the Gándara Center is to promote the well-being of Hispanics, African-Americans, and other culturally diverse populations, through innovative, culturally competent behavioral health, prevention, and educational services.
Empowering Lives. Restoring Families
PRINCIPAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Provide Evidence-Based Programming (EBP) for PREP teen pregnancy prevention curriculum.
- Maintain fidelity to PREP EBP with outcome measuring, data collection, tracking and analysis
- Recruit youth and plan and implement PREP educational sessions for them
- Recruit, train and oversee project interns and volunteers, in conjunction with the PREP Program Coordinator.
- Coordinate and continue to develop the Stop Access Coalition youth advisory board
- Facilitate youth advisory board meetings, arrange youth advisory board activities, and provide transportation to youth, as needed
- Attend coalition meetings
- Develop and coordinate parental advisory group for the coalition
- Develop and facilitate community and/or school presentations for the coalition as requested
- Coalition work group and meeting facilitation
- Responsible for community engagement and coalition recruitment
- Assist with and support coalition activities
- Attend outreach events and community meetings
- Represent the agency in appropriate community meetings to raise awareness in the community of these projects, educate community agencies and individuals and collect information for the projects
- Attend internal and external meetings and trainings as required by the agency or its funders
- Responsible for the timely collection and submission of program reports and data
- Responsible for the timely submission of all agency paperwork in accordance with agency policies
- Responsible for promoting the values of safety, cooperation, communication and inclusiveness in all agency activities
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES
- BA/BS in public health, human services, social work or a related field is preferred, 2 years of experience may be substituted for a degree
- CHW certification or active enrollment in the certification process is preferred.
- Experience developing facilitating group activities with youth is required and working with families is preferred.
- Demonstrated evidence of ability to connect with youth is preferred.
- Experience using Evidence-Based Programming is preferred.
- Knowledge of Springfield/Holyoke area & youth-serving organizations is preferred
- Bi-lingual-bi-cultural strongly preferred
- Commitment to community collaboration and working with diverse communities
- Knowledge of social media
- Excellent writing, oral, computer, and interpersonal skills
- Commitment to the goals and mission of the agency
- Supports the mission and goals of the agency
- Valid driver’s license and reliable transportation required
LEADERSHIP, TEAM MANAGEMENT, AND INTERPERSONAL SKILLS
Sensitivity to, and respect for, the diverse world views and different communication styles of individuals of diverse ethnic, linguistic, and/or cultures which nurture and shape an organization that celebrates and promotes diversity in its workforce;
Highly effective and well-honed verbal and written communication and presentation skills in English; interpersonal skills necessary to persuade and guide both peers and other Agency staff regarding operational matters.
Exhibit exemplary customer service, compassion, and care in the execution of all duties and interactions.
- Retirement Plan 403(b)
- Health, Dental, Vision, and Life Insurance
- Paid vacations
- Paid holidays
- 8 discretionary days a year
The Gandara Mental Health Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Gándara Center provides residential, mental health, substance abuse and preventive services for children, adults and families across the Pioneer Valley and eastern parts of Massachusetts. Founded in the Hispanic community, we value cultural diversity and strive to provide culturally competent, innovative services to a diverse community.
This position is located at 120 Maple Street, Springfield, MA. View the Google Map in full screen.