Adult Residential Direct Care Staff - Various Locations
Adult Residential Direct Care Staff
Various Locations | Multiple Shifts
We're looking for a Direct Care 1 Staff Worker to work with our DDS Program [Developmental Disability Services] team model, establishing open communication, support, and accountability among workers and consumers. They are accountable to the DDS Program Manager, who is responsible for providing supervision and training. The Direct Care 1 Staff Worker is one who actively promotes the philosophy of the DDS Program, and maintains a high level of commitment to the program. This individual will respect the dignity of each individual through vigorous promotion of human and civil rights which, in part, strives to keep people free from abuse or neglect and recognize that the ethnic and cultural diversity of each individual must be valued and respected.
I. Duties and Responsibilities
Client Services Responsibilities
- To assist members daily in the enhancement of their ADL (activities of daily living) skills through practical experience and training both individually and in groups.
- To promote the right of people with an intellectual disability to exercise choice and to make meaningful decisions in their lives.
- To ensure that adequate services and flexible resources are non-intrusive, cost-effective, and provided by qualified, trained personnel to meet individual needs and preferences.
- To provide case management, outreach, and advocacy to members, and be accountable for the quality and quantity of casework.
- To develop strong, supportive relationships with the clients.
- To provide for client care and safety, and observe all safety measures; provide safety responses to emergency situations when necessary.
- To interact with clients in order to assess needs, provide information, discuss problems, set limits, and encourage growth and development.
- To empower individuals and their families to speak out for themselves and others, initiate ideas, have choices, and make decisions about needed supports.
- To enhance public awareness of the valuable roles persons with mental retardation assume in society through the promotion of physical and social integration.
- To provide entry to services through a single, local and familiar setting and recognizing the dignity of achievement understanding these services lead to meaningful benefits.
- To provide crisis intervention, monitor clients'' progress, and act as a client advocate.
- To assist members in planning, implementing, and leading scheduled activities, to assess members'' participation, motivation, and interest in these activities.
- To perform other duties as assigned by the Program Manager.
Administrative Responsibilities/Record Keeping
- To attend scheduled clinical and staff meetings and actively participate to determine treatment plans, re-evaluate case needs and goals, and develop skills.
- To maintain client records in accordance with standard format and timetables.
- To attend scheduled supervisory meetings with the Program Manager.
- To maintain assigned financial record keeping and submit requests and/or report accurately and in a timely manner.
- To adhere to DDS regulations regarding incident reporting, complete all DDS and agency required paperwork such as case [progress] notes, times sheets, weekly notes, bookkeeping, mileage, incident reports accurately and submit them in a timely manner.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
- Ability to work with the intellectually disabled population.
- Ability to structure and organize job responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to master and organize job responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Ability to master mandated training, such as but not limited to First Aid, CPR. Defensive Driving, Fire Safety, and Administering Medication, Basic Human Rights.
- Demonstrates good math, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Displays sound judgment and work well as a team player.
- High School Diploma or equivalent required.
- Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree in human service field preferred.
- Minimum of 1 year of experience working with psychiatric clients preferred.
- Must have valid driver's license and safe driving history.
- Must be bilingual, preferably bi-cultural (English/Spanish).
- Must have availability of an automobile to transport clients or perform other supportive services as necessary.
This position is a 40 hour a week position, five (5), seven (8) hour days unless agreed upon by the Program Manager. Shift hours may vary. Additionally, he/she is required to works some holidays, overnights and weekends. This position entails working in client homes. Working conditions also include frequent travel between the program and client homes, to and from scheduled activities, appointments, etc. This job at times entails going into high crimes neighborhoods and also involved being exposed to smoking environments and at-risk populations.
- Retirement Plan 403[b]
- Health Insurance
- Dental Insurance
- Vision Insurance
- Life Insurance
- Paid Vacations
- Paid Holidays & 8 Discretionary days a year
The Gandara Mental Health Center provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Gándara Center provides residential, mental health, substance abuse, and preventive services for children, adults, and families across the Pioneer Valley and eastern parts of Massachusetts. Founded in the Hispanic community, we value cultural diversity and strive to provide culturally competent, innovative services to a diverse community.
This position is located at 120 Maple Street, Springfield, MA. View the Google Map in full screen.