Core Design Engineer
DESIGN & ENGINEERING
Interested in making an impact on clean energy initiatives? Grow your career at Framatome!
Framatome is a major global leader in the nuclear energy market recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for designing, building, maintaining, and advancing the international nuclear fleet. Offering a full range of reactor services requires an unparalleled passion and sense of purpose connected to our company’s mission and vision.
Essential to Framatome’s mission are our employees who provide a unique set of skills, knowledge, and experience that support us in providing competitive, reliable, and safe nuclear power plants. Our commitment to our employees is recognized through our competitive total rewards package. Enjoy competitive compensation, generous benefits and take part in innovative projects and development opportunities.
Framatome is an international leader in nuclear energy recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for the global nuclear power plant fleet. With worldwide expertise and a proven track record for reliability and performance, the company designs, services and installs components, fuel, and instrumentation and control systems for nuclear power plants. More than 14,000 Framatome employees work every day to help our customers supply ever cleaner, safer, and more economical low-carbon energy.
Framatome Inc. has been serving the U.S. nuclear power industry since the 1950’s and has approximately 2,300 employees working from locations across North America. In the Fuel Design team, it is our passion and commitment to design and deliver the most competitive, safe, and reliable fuel solutions for the worldwide nuclear power industry. We are responsible for the design and implementation of fuel assembly designs (including our newest BWR product ATRIUM-11 and our newest PWR product GAIA), development and implementation of advanced codes and methods, and development of accident tolerant fuel and advanced fuel management products.
The Framatome Core Design team is seeking an early Career BWR/PWR core design and reload licensing enigneer for its Richland, WA location. Come join a team with a passion for Nuclear Science and Engineering and its application to solve the nuclear power industry’s challenges of today and tomorrow. Our team supports a vast array of projects including R&D development of higher burnup core designs using high enrichments and advanced fuel management techniques using the industry's most advance core design tools and implementing our advanced reload safety analysis methodolgies. These advanced tools and methods are state of the art and ready for highly motivated engineers to implement them into our fleet of customer plants. We commit daily to making nuclear reactors safer and more efficient – this is a career that makes a difference.
Come have an impact on a global organization and participate in collaboration with colleagues and customers across the globe. Hone your professional skills as you interface with engineers in mechanical, materials, thermal-hydraulics, and safety analysis disciplines and take advantage of opportunities to present Framatome’s achievements to the nuclear community to continue advancement of our industry. Assist with the design and licensing analyses of BWR fuel reloads. Work as part of a team that includes engineers from other departments and Codes and Methods development engineers as well as Project Managers responsible for different BWR fuel reload customers. Interface with and interaction with BWR customers usually starts as soon as basic reload design and analysis engineering capabilities have been established. Typical tasks include fuel assembly and core design, reload safety analysis of BWR reload designs, authoring and review of various design and reload licensing reports and documents, support of the BWR online core monitoring system (POWERPLEX-XD), and review of engineering work performed by other team members. Reload design and analysis engineers work together with Codes and Methods development engineers to continue improvement and maintenance of methods and automation tools.
The core design and reload licensing team in Richland (FDC-AR) directly supports the reactor core design, reload licensing analysis, and online core monitoring needs for BWR fuel customers as well as providing backup support for PWR reload design work. The department performs a full range of neutronics, fuel management, online core monitoring, and safety analysis of the fuel and core design including ongoing development of codes and methods as well as maintenance of existing codes and methods used in those analyses. BWR neutronics engineers are involved in developing nuclear fuel and core designs and reload analysis methods, establishing mechanical and fuel design safety limits including evaluation of critical heat flux during normal operation and transient events, and developing neutronic and thermal-hydraulic code inputs and methods to support the fuel reload analyses and plant operations. The BWR reload design and licensing team in Richland works closely with other engineering departments, customers, Project Management, and regulators. As part of the worldwide Fuel Design (FD) organization at Framatome, FDC-AR in Richland interfaces with FD organizations at other locations in France, Germany and the U.S. Within the worldwide Fuel Design (FD) organization of Framatome, the Richland location is the BWR Center of Excellence. Also as part of the U.S. Fuel Business Unit, fuel design in Richland interfaces with the fuel manufacturing plant which is also located in Richland.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Assist with the core designs for BWR/PWR reload projects
- Assist with reload licensing activities
- Develop economic core designs - developing Continuous Improvement automation and optimization tools
- Work as part of a team that includes engineers from other departments and Codes and Methods development engineers as well as Project Managers responsible for different BWR fuel reload customers.
- Interface with and interaction with BWR customers. This activity usually starts as soon as basic reload design and analysis engineering capabilities have been established.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this opportunity:
- BS in Nuclear, Mechanical, or Chemical Eng'g/Eng'g Tech. plus a minimum of 3 years of engineering experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for related exp. (MS 1-2 yrs. or PhD 1-3 yrs.). In applicable states a PE license will be accepted in lieu of a 4 yr. engineering degree.
The following may be used to differentiate candidates who apply for this position:
- Excellent communication skills (oral / presentation / written).
- Proven ability to effectively communicate and coordinate activities among the diverse groups within Framatome and with customers.
- Positive and effective team interaction skills along with positive peer relationship skills.
- Ability to coordinate and prioritize multiple assignments to reach team objectives
- Academic or work experience in the areas of neutronics/physics and/or thermal hydraulics design of nuclear fuel assemblies and core reloads.
- Familiarity with nuclear fuel neutronics analysis spectral/lattice codes (CASMO-3, CASMO-4, etc) and/or core simulator codes (SIMULATE, MICROBURN-B2, etc).
- French, Japanese, Mandarin Chinese, and/or German language skills are a plus.
- Basic experience and capabilities with MICROSOFT Office software products (WORD, EXCEL, etc.) are required.
- Experience working with engineering workstation computers and LINUX and/or UNIX operating environments
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Have a pro-active approach to problem identification and resolution.
- Ability and attitude to learn a variety of new procedures, processes, and tools, while maintaining various stages of production.
- Able to work well in a fast-paced team environment
- BWR or PWR core design and/or nuclear analysis experience.
- Computer model development and application (e.g. SERPENT, MCNP, SCALE, CASMO, SIMULATE or other nuclear industry analysis code).
- Experience working with engineering workstation computers and LINUX operating environments.
- Computer programming/software capabilities and experience in FORTRAN, C/C++, and/or PYTHON.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
This position is located at 2101 Horn Rapids Road Richland, WA 99354, Richland, WA. View the Google Map in full screen.