Core Thermal Hydraulic Engineer
DESIGN & ENGINEERING
Interested in making an impact on clean energy initiatives? Grow your career at Framatome!
Framatome is a major global leader in the nuclear energy market recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for designing, building, maintaining, and advancing the international nuclear fleet. Offering a full range of reactor services requires an unparalleled passion and sense of purpose connected to our company’s mission and vision.
Essential to Framatome’s mission are our employees who provide a unique set of skills, knowledge, and experience that support us in providing competitive, reliable, and safe nuclear power plants. Our commitment to our employees is recognized through our competitive total rewards package. Enjoy competitive compensation, generous benefits and take part in innovative projects and development opportunities.
Framatome is seeking a Core Thermal Hydraulic Engineer for our Old Forest Road office in Lynchburg, Virginia.
The Fuel Core Design & Safety Analysis department directly supports the reactor core design and reload licensing analysis needs for US Region Light Water Reactor PWR commercial operation. The department performs a full range of neutronics, fuel management, thermal hydraulics and safety analysis of the fuel and core design including on-going development of codes and methods as well as maintenance of existing codes and methods used in those analyses. Department engineers work closely with other engineering departments, customers, Project Management, and regulators.
Core Thermal-Hydraulics analysis engineers prepare and apply nuclear reactor thermal-hydraulic (TH) principles and TH models for plant safety analyses and are involved in the preparation of engineering documents. Duties include supporting regular customer interactions and working with related engineering disciplines to resolve complex technical issues and provide high quality engineering solutions.
The department also supports analyses of advanced reactor designs and small modular reactor concepts. Significant opportunity exists for the motivated candidate to explore a variety of plant designs using the industry's most advanced analysis tools.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Perform thermal hydraulic and safety analyses to support the design and licensing of Framatome fuel for commercial light water reactors.
- Conduct analyses involving the use of engineering computer codes to assess plant system thermal hydraulic performance, and transient analyses to demonstrate that licensing requirements are satisfied, particularly, sub-channel codes such as LYNXT, XCOBRA-IIIC or COBRA-FLX.
- Support of system transient response and safety analyses using RELAP based analyses
- Interface with Framatome European counterparts to support Light Water Reactor projects.
- Participate in and support interface with regulatory authorities to obtain regulatory approval of the Framatome reactor core design and methods.
- Perform core reload design and licensing, assess proposed changes in fuel designs or operating strategies, evaluate changes in analytical methods, and support any plant operational occurrences that influence core performance and require evaluation.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this opportunity:
- BS in Nuclear or Mechanical Eng’g/Eng’g Tech. plus a minimum of 2 years of engineering experience. An advanced degree may be substituted for related exp. (MS 1-2 yrs. or PhD 1-3 yrs.). In applicable states a PE license will be accepted in lieu of a 4 yr engineering degree
The following may be used to differentiate candidates who apply for this position:
- Possess good verbal and written skills.
- Possess a pro-active approach to problem identification and resolution.
- Ability and attitude to learn a variety of new procedures, processes, and tools while maintaining projects in various stages of production.
- Ability to work well with engineers from other technical disciplines.
- PWR core thermal hydraulics and/or system analysis experience.
- MS degree with direct experience in computer modeling of systems or subchannel analyses.
- Experience with nuclear industry codes for thermal hydraulics and system analysis preferred (e.g. COBRA, RELAP, RETRAN, etc).
- French and/or German language skills.
- Basic experience and capabilities with MICROSOFT Office software products (WORD, EXCEL, etc.).
- Experience working with engineering workstation computers and LINUX operating environments.
- Computer programming/software capabilities and experience in FORTRAN, C/C++, PYTHON.
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
This position is located at 3315 Old Forest Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24501, Lynchburg, VA. View the Google Map in full screen.