Component Engineering Designer
DESIGN & ENGINEERING
Interested in making an impact on clean energy initiatives? Grow your career at Framatome!
Framatome is a major global leader in the nuclear energy market recognized for its innovative solutions and value-added technologies for designing, building, maintaining, and advancing the international nuclear fleet. Offering a full range of reactor services requires an unparalleled passion and sense of purpose connected to our company’s mission and vision.
Essential to Framatome’s mission are our employees who provide a unique set of skills, knowledge, and experience that support us in providing competitive, reliable, and safe nuclear power plants. Our commitment to our employees is recognized through our competitive total rewards package. Enjoy competitive compensation, generous benefits and take part in innovative projects and development opportunities.
Framatome is seeking a Component Engineering Designer for our Mill Ridge Road office in Lynchburg, Virginia. This position primarily provides design and drafting support for the Component Engineering department, and occasionally will support other Framatome groups. The Component Engineering department is responsible for design, fabrication, and installation of pressure vessels, piping systems, and structural steel integrated head assemblies. Job duties range from minor drawing updates for existing components, system design and equipment layouts, to "blank page" design of new equipment and tools. Multiple people in the group have received patents based on project deliverables.
Primary responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- The majority of our design work is done in 3D using SolidWorks in conjunction with a product data management (PDM) system which permits collaborative design work. There is also some amount of 2D work for legacy parts done in AutoCAD.
- Our projects typically span 18 to 36 months and contain anywhere from 5 - 150 drawings. The ability to manage multiple projects and priorities is a must.
- While the majority of our work is in support of the existing operating fleet, the group is also actively involved supporting multiple new reactor concepts. Our current work scopes include detailed design of reactor internals, rigging and transport planning, and interference studies.
- Some limited travel (1 - 3 days) may be required to support meetings at customer sites, perform plant walkdowns, resolve fabrication issues, and load test verification. This position does not require long term outage deployments.
All candidates must meet the following minimum requirements to be considered for this opportunity:
- High school diploma or equivalent with completed coursework in drafting and CAD, plus minimum of 8 years of related experience. An A.A. degree may substitute for equivalent years of work experience
The following may be used to differentiate candidates who apply for this position:
- Candidate must have experience with 2D AutoCAD (Standard or Mechanical Desktop) and experience designing and drafting with Solidworks - Framatome can provide advanced Solidworks training and PDM training.
- Experience working in a multi-disciplinary design environment including experience with pressure vessel design, structural steel detailing and fabrication, familiarity with piping system design and nomenclature, and general metalworking practices. Knowledge of GD&T and tolerance analysis is beneficial.
- As we frequently cross utilize resources with other work groups familiarity with other CAD systems is a plus. (Microstation 8, CATIA, etc)
- Previous fabrication or welding experience are highly desirable. (Apprentice school, machinist, etc.)
Framatome is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability or protected veteran status.
This position is located at 155 Mill Ridge Rd, Lynchburg, VA 24502, Lynchburg, VA. View the Google Map in full screen.